The Nueva School
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
The Nueva School, a PreK-12 independent school that serves gifted and talented students, is seeking an experienced finance professional to serve as Director of Finance and Administration. The position will report to the Associate Head of School and work closely with the Head of School, Division Heads, Department Directors, key Board committees, and the Board. This is a full time, 12-month position.
Primary Responsibilities & Expectations of the Role
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Full ownership of accounts payable, student billing & accounts receivable, payroll processing & benefits administration (in conjunction with TriNet), monthly close, annual budget preparation, recurring reporting including the preparation of financial statements and the clear, accurate, and timely communication of monthly and quarterly results, internal controls, cash management, risk management, tax filings, and audits.
- Assuring GAAP compliance, including the implementation of rules & standards relating to non-profit fund accounting.
- Leading a team that currently includes a Controller, Senior Financial Analyst, Senior Accountant, Payroll & Benefits Administrator, and Accounting Associate.
- Enhancing processes in ways that improve productivity as well as utility and user-friendliness.
- Providing extensive ad hoc decision-supporting analysis both proactively and in response to requests.
- Maintaining a multi-year financial model that projects revenues, expenses, net positions, and cash flows.
- Utilizing procurement and contracting practices that result in the more efficient use of school resources and protection of the School’s interests.
- Managing relationships with auditors, bankers, lenders, government agencies (including federal, state, and local), lawyers, insurers, school associations, and key service providers and partners, including transportation, food service, facilities, security, etc.
- Supporting annual giving and capital campaign fundraising with the Development Department, including timely and accurate reporting.
- Implementing endowment and investment policies, monitoring compliance, and reporting under the supervision of the Endowment and Finance committees and the Board in collaboration with consultants, managers, and staff.
- Managing the School’s retirement plans, implementing retirement plan advisory committee programs and priorities under the supervision of the Board and Finance committees and in collaboration with third party consultants and managers.
- Administering the School’s financial awards programs in conjunction with the Admissions Department and the Financial Award Committee.
- Designing, implementing, and managing internal controls to protect and preserve all organizational assets – financial, physical, digital, personnel, etc.
- Responding to requests by government or regulatory agencies and assuring compliance with legal and insurance obligations and financial covenants.
- Providing financial, contractual, and risk management support for key school programs, including for example trips, athletics, performing arts, science, transportation, etc.
- Collaborating with the HR Director on efforts to implement best practice employment policies and programs in relation to hiring, compensation and benefits, retention, employee performance management and development, separation, and records management.
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of School safety, security, and emergency preparedness plans in conjunction with the Director of Facilities and Operations and other members of the School’s leadership team.
- Supporting and collaborating with the School’s senior leadership team, including division and department directors, faculty, and staff, as well as School committees, task forces, and the Board on School priorities and projects.
- Interest, commitment, and capacity to execute the School’s mission and strategic plan.
- Successful administrative experience and the proven ability to motivate others.
- Relationship builder; able to develop and cultivate internal and external relationships and inspire trust and collaboration.
- A learner. Curiosity.
- A strategic thinker and creative problem-solver.
- A collaborator with a strong team orientation.
- A self-starter who exercises appropriate initiative. A seer of what needs doing. A doer of what needs doing.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities simultaneously and adapt to frequent or unexpected changes.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and follow-through execution skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion of people and program.
- Demonstrated ability to distinguish and function effectively in multiple, sometimes conflicting roles and situations, including as a friend, colleague, supervisor, and leader.
- Personable, positive, helpful personality.
- A customer service mindset.
- Maturity and excellent judgment.
- Sensitivity, discretion, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- A sense of humor. Emotional Intelligence. Patience.
- Expert knowledge of accounting and financial best practice principles, procedures,and practices.
- At least 15+ years of relevant financial experience, including leadership, management, and team development experience.
- Bachelor degree required and advanced degree preferred in relevant field.
- Experience working with education, independent schools, nonprofits, and/or small to medium size organizations and boards preferred.
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School is aninternationally recognized and award winning school that was founded in 1967. The School’s two campuses are located centrally in the San Francisco Bay Area between San Francisco and Silicon Valley in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo. During the upcoming 2020-21 school year, Nueva expects to enroll more than 950 students from throughout the San Francisco / Silicon Valley Bay Area. Learn more at www.nuevaschool.org.
Please submit a cover letter and resume at https://nuevaschool.applytojob.com/apply. Professional references will be requested from those who are invited to discuss their qualifications with the School. Compensation commensurate with experience. To address specific questions, please email Terry Lee at email@example.com or Scott Bowers firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nueva School is an Equal Opportunity Employer — we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, or sex. We welcome applications from people of color and those with experience outside the education field.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com