To be eligible students must:
- Attend a POCIS member school
- Be in “good academic standing” within their school community
- Enroll in a 2-4 year institution of higher learning
- Identify as a student of color
Complete the online application by May 30 (STUDENTS ONLY):
- Compose an original essay responding to the question: “Why do you believe the cultures, diverse heritages, languages, knowledge, and insights of people of color contribute to the creation of inclusive and affirming schools?”
- Recommendation: draft the essay in a google/word document and paste it into the form provided. The essay should be no longer than 3 pages in 12-point, Times New Roman font, double-spaced
- Provide the names and emails of two adult members of your school community that can recommend you and affirm that you are a student in good academic standing. We will send them a recommendation form on your behalf.
- Write a short Answer (500 words or less) to the following question: “How do you personally contribute to creating an inclusive, and affirming environment at your school ?”
- Recommendation: draft the essay in a google/word document and paste it into the form provided.
The Selection Process
The People of Color in Independent Schools Board offers this annual opportunity to inspire and empower student leaders to continue their positive action regarding diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Members of the Scholarship Selection Committee will evaluate the applications and determine award recipients based on the following criteria:
- How insightfully does the essay address the prompt and relate to the student’s experience?
- How persuasively are the recommendations in describing the student’s leadership qualities and commitment to fairness, dignity, and respect?
- How persuasive is the short answer response in convincing the reader of the student’s sincerity and strengths?
- How culturally, ethnically, and racially diverse is the cohort of 4 students who are receiving the award? Are all persons of color being included in the award opportunity?
Applicants will be notified by the POCIS Board Chair of their status no later than July 1. Apply now!
If you have questions or need assistance please contact the vice chairperson, Kali Baird at firstname.lastname@example.org.