(Full beginning August, 2020)
Head-Royce School is seeking a culturally responsive Mandarin teacher to join our 6-12 World Language department to teach the Middle School Mandarin courses, and selected sections in the Upper School. We hope to find teachers who can teach throughout the curriculum. Our K-12 Mandarin program includes a focus on developing oral proficiency, reading and writing skills, and an exploration of culture and history from throughout the Mandarin-speaking world, including contemporary global Asian identity. Faculty also serve as advisors and participate actively in the life of the community. The School seeks applicants who have a strong academic background, experience in multicultural education, an understanding and appreciation of adolescents, and a demonstrated genuine fondness for working with students.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practice of culturally responsive teaching and learning
- Demonstrated understanding of curriculum design, varied pedagogical approaches, and developmental appropriateness of instruction, as well as different styles and types of assessment
- Strong collaboration, with a willingness to reach outside to partner with colleagues to design curriculum, projects, activities, and experiences
- Use of technology, when appropriate, to enhance students’ learning experience
- Continuing reflection on and enhancement of one’s own pedagogical approach or a blend of strategies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mandarin Language and/or Literature or equivalent area of study
- Fluent or Native Mandarin speaker
- Familiarity with 21st-century teaching principles
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience at either the Middle School or the High School level
Additional Qualifications we hope to find, but not required:
- MA preferred, in Mandarin Language, Literature, or in Education
Head-Royce School Overview
Located on a 12-acre campus in Oakland, California, Head-Royce is a pre-eminent, co-educational, independent, K-12 day school with a 132-year history. Our mission is to inspire in our students a lifelong love of learning & pursuit of academic excellence, to promote understanding of & respect for diversity that makes our society strong & to encourage active & responsible global citizenship.
Head-Royce enrolls 890 students in the three separate divisions — Lower, Middle & Upper Schools — & provides a dynamic, whole-child education to every student. With our Strategic Plan, Bridge to 2022, the school’s current initiatives include advancing an innovative, student-centered program, promoting an inclusive community, driving deeper civic engagement, sustaining a culture of balance & well-being & carefully stewarding our resources.
Compensation: Competitive among comparable schools
Location: Oakland, California
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree(s) a plus
Start Date: August, 2020
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume. Files should be sent via email to MSJobs@headroyce.org with the subject line “US-MS Mandarin.”
Head-Royce School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on age, color, creed, disability, gender, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, a medical condition including genetic characteristics, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to MSJobs@headroyce.org