Website Sacred Heart Schools
Middle School Instructors for Peninsula Bridge Summer (Math 7th grade)
Dates: Tuesday June 20, 2023 – Friday July 21, 2023
Hours: 9:00 am-12:00 pm M-F (July 4th holiday off)
Compensation: $7,000 paid over an hourly calendar *see below
About Peninsula Bridge
For 25 years, Peninsula Bridge has been serving motivated low-income youth from San Mateo to Mountain View with academic and social-emotional support. Peninsula Bridge transforms the lives of highly motivated, low-income students by preparing and supporting them for success in college preparatory high school programs and four year colleges. The summer program focuses on reduction of the summer slide and academic learning loss. Across sites Peninsula Bridge serves 4th-8th graders throughout the summer. The Sacred Heart site serves 5th grade boys and 7th grade boys and girls.
The instructors will lead student classes for 18-20 students per session using the Peninsula Bridge 7th Grade Summer Academy Curriculum (math or ELA). The workshops consist of a balance of content specific instruction, Social Emotional Learning (SEL), and hands-on presentation/study skills activities to promote middle school and high school readiness. All materials and resources will be prepared and provided by Peninsula Bridge. The instructors will be responsible for knowing the material and teaching it, grading and providing feedback for students, working with teaching assistants and guiding them in working with small groups of students, be well prepared for all sessions, and attend weekly staff meetings. The instructors will lead engaging small and whole group activities in the sessions to develop key academic and social skills. They will also provide a written narrative for each student at the end of the summer program. Teachers will be assisted by 3-4 Teaching Assistants. The Instructors will report to the Site Director. In addition to direct teaching, there will be weekly team meetings and 1-2 training sessions outside of the regularly scheduled program time:
Teacher/TA training and orientation on June 15th, 2023 at Sacred Heart (Homer Auditorium)
● Proven excellence in teaching in a public school or independent school setting for specific content area
● Experience in teaching and making lessons relevant and engaging for students.
● Knowledge of and direct practice in teaching and modeling Social Emotional Learning (SEL) skills.
● Excellent communication skills, verbally and in writing.
● Effective student group management skills that incorporate growth mindset and positive behavioral interactions with students.
● Ability to support students and families in a respectful, inclusive, and engaging way.
● Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity and a highly developed understanding of youth development skills.
● Adaptable and able to manage multiple objectives at one time. The 8th Grade Academy setting is constantly changing and the ability to be nimble, supportive, and proactive is key for team members.
● Collaborative classroom practices are imperative to the success of Peninsula Bridge as we often incorporate outside visitors, volunteers, etc.
● Effective organization skills, attention to detail.
● Fluency in Spanish desired but not required.
● Ability to operate and teach Google Chromebook Apps for access to curriculum, student reports, collaborative work with students and team members.
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton Middle School Campus
150 Valparaiso Ave
Atherton, CA 94027
Program Time: 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, M-F June 17- July 22 (July 4th off)
Salary: This is a position based on hourly pay resulting in $7,000 total. Hourly pay will be organized with the Site Director to ensure total compensation
Contact: Please email resume and cover letter to Jenn Huey at firstname.lastname@example.org and Rolando Victoria email@example.com