Website Drew School
Founded in 1908, Drew School is an independent, urban high school in San Francisco enrolling 280 students in grades 9 through 12. Drew engages each student in a process of intellectual discovery to develop an individual voice, the confidence to express it, and the empathy to understand its impact. Our school community is centered on experienced, dedicated, and passionate faculty, and engaged, committed students. Drew combines its curriculum with a focus on experiential learning, global awareness, local community involvement, citizenship, and support of individual talents and strengths. More information about Drew is available on our website: www.drewschool.org.
We have an opening for a full-time Spanish teaching position for the 2023-2024 school year. An ideal candidate would have high school teaching experience, a passion for working with adolescents, and experience with students with a variety of learning styles.
The candidate should have native or near-native spoken fluency in Spanish in addition to strong writing skills and a thorough knowledge of Spanish grammar. The candidate should be flexible in terms of what levels they can teach from absolute beginners to advanced and heritage language speakers of Spanish. The candidate must be flexible in their teaching practice to work with a diverse student body and must be able to plan classes independently, but also enjoy collaboration and sharing materials and ideas. We are looking for someone who is a practitioner of student-centered, hands-on learning.
For candidates with leadership experience, there is a possibility to add the role of department chair of the World Language department for an additional stipend.
Salary range: $72,000 – $100,000
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach four classes
- Lead weekly Experiential Electives
- Advise a student advising group
- Lead an approved Drew Education for Active Lifelong Learning (DEALL) week experience
- Lead or actively participate in a student club activity
Desirable Skills and Experience
- B.A. in Spanish (graduate degree preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with recent best practices in Spanish instruction
- Curriculum development with attention to multiple perspectives and diverse voices
- Best practices for teaching students with learning differences
- Differentiates instruction
- Culturally competent and committed to equity and inclusion
- Enjoys working with teenagers
- Self-reflective and growth-minded
- Collaborates with adults and students
To apply, please submit a cover letter and résumé.
Drew School is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an identity-safe school, where all members of the community find opportunities for belonging and growth. Drew School offers a competitive compensation package. We strongly encourage candidates of color to apply.
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY Drew School of San Francisco admits students of every race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin, or handicap to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities of the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, athletic and other school administered programs.