Golden Bridges School
Kindergarten teacher 2020-2021
Golden Bridges School, San Francisco, CA
Golden Bridges School is a small, groundbreaking school entering its 7th full school year in September 2019. GBS was founded by Waldorf-trained teachers and currently operates in San Francisco’s southern Mission and Glen Park areas, serving preschool through fifth grade with 80 students and 23 staff members. Next year the school will expand to include a sixth grade. The school intends to grow into a full preschool-8th grade school.
GBS is taking a fresh look at Waldorf education, asking what the children of today, and in San Francisco, need from teachers and education. One major result of this question is the development of a robust outdoor curriculum in the natural parks of SF and the ownership of our own agricultural urban farm, a ¾ acre plot, complete with animals, growing orchard, crops, greenhouse and outdoor kitchen. Our two kindergarten classes spend one full day hiking in a natural park, three days at the school farm, and one full day indoors on our campus. GBS is also challenging long-standing models of governance, tuition, teaching structure, and the interplay between the school and the surrounding community. We are dedicated to becoming an anti-racist school, committed to social justice, internally and externally, that is inclusive and welcoming to all. We are supported in this work by different organizations and mentors.
Our faculty meets weekly and incorporates anthroposophy into some meetings.
* * * * * *
For the 2020-2021 school year we are looking for one Kindergarten co-teacher. Co-teachers in the early childhood work together in a symbiotic relationship that highlights the strengths of each teacher, as well as encouraging room to learn and grow from one another. There is much freedom in how this relationship operates, however, each partnership is built upon mutual respect and equally shared tasks –– from food prep and cleaning to storytelling, circle time, and parent work. We have found that teaching can be sustainable and each person’s efforts feel valued when in a co-teaching model.
A kindergarten co-teachers responsibilities include:
- Developing age-appropriate curriculum for both the indoors and outdoors in mixed age class (4-6 yr olds)
- A commitment to each child’s growth through inner work and the practical art of teaching
- Parent education and meetings
- Enrollment interviews
- Faculty meetings and school committees involvement (each faculty is required to serve on 2 committees)
The type of teacher we are looking for:
- Comfortable and enthusiastic in all weather
- Previous experience as a teacher or long time assistant in a Waldorf or Waldorf-inspired school
- Positive experiences in either team teaching, working with lead/assistant model, or with other co-workers
- Confident in Waldorf curriculum and experience studying or practicing anthroposophy
- If new to Waldorf, then must come with a willingness to do continuing education in Waldorf curriculum.
- Inspired to be part of a groundbreaking school
- Strong cultural competency and confidence working with diverse family backgrounds striving to create a community that is socially just and equitable.
- Strong collaborator, team player, and excellent communicator
- Organized, creative, and takes initiative with programming
- Extremely flexible (both in working with others and in being a part of a developing school and program that includes several different spaces)
- Fluent in a second language is a plus
- Confident in working and collaborating with parents both independently and with a co-teacher
We look forward to hearing from all interested teachers from around the world.
Competitive salary and partial benefits available.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of the cover letter, we will schedule a short phone call with a member of our Hiring Committee. Qualified applicants will then be invited to visit the school and faculty in early spring.
It shall be the operational policy of Golden Bridges School not to discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or affectional preference, age, or handicap in any of its policies, procedures, or practices. This policy of non-discrimination covers school programs and activities, including but not limited to: academic, admissions, financial aid, educational services, and employment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com