Hillbrook School is seeking a highly skilled collaborator to co-teach as a 1st Grade Lead Teacher. Together the teaching team at each grade level will continue to deliver personalized, developmentally appropriate, and joyful learning experiences to each child in their care. The full-time position is for the 2018-19 school year.
Hillbrook School is a co-ed, independent, junior kindergarten–8th grade school located on 14 acres of oak woodland in Los Gatos, CA. Founded in 1935, Hillbrook School remains deeply connected to its historical roots as a school where children are known, learning is authentic and active, and success is measured one child at a time. During the past 80 years, we have grown and evolved from a small boarding school serving wards of the state to one of the leading independent schools in the Bay Area, and yet our vision remains the same—to inspire children to achieve their dreams and reach beyond themselves to make a difference in the world. Our talented faculty delivers a program that provides 355 students with a unique blend of challenging and engaging academics, visual and performing arts, passion-driven projects, and opportunities to serve and partner with others in our community.
Hillbrook School is a recognized leader in educational innovation, earning designation since 2010 as an Apple Distinguished School. Our 1:1 iPad program in the middle school, iLab Makerspace classroom, Center for Teaching Excellence, and Scott Center for Social Entrepreneurship all stem from a commitment to being on the leading edge of best practices in education. Our faculty members present at conferences across the nation and globe each year, on topics that range from innovative uses of technology, to research studies we have conducted on the impact of classroom design on teaching and learning. Hillbrook is intentional about, and deeply committed to, cultural competency and professional growth. We are a community of highly-engaged, lifelong learners.
It is an exciting moment to enter our school. We are on the cusp of implementing a new schedule for the 2018-2019 school year that is designed to maximize the opportunity for collaboration in order to flexibility individualize instruction and strive towards achieving our mission to inspire students to achieve their dreams and reach beyond themselves to make a difference in the world. We are also in the process of developing a large, new Maker Space, which will connect our visual art studios and science labs, and bring our philosophical emphasis on project-based learning, question-asking, making and engineering into the physical heart of campus.
As noted in our Statement of Inclusivity, Hillbrook is an intentionally diverse community that strives to reflect the extraordinary diversity of Silicon Valley. We believe that educational excellence depends on the creation of a diverse and inclusive community where all people feel a full sense of membership. As a community, we step into the sometimes complex and challenging conversations about inclusivity because we believe that the growth of a community and learner is continual, and striking a balance between individual and community can be difficult work.
Our salaries are competitive. Benefits include full medical, dental, and vision coverage; ample retirement planning with TIAA-CREF; a generous holiday schedule; access to and support with the latest state-of-the-art education technology; and a strong commitment to engaging and personalized professional development.
Hillbrook School is an equal opportunity employer. Opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
- Teach as Lead Teacher at specified grade level, including language arts, mathematics and social studies
- Implement the school’s social emotional curriculum, which is based on the Responsive Classroom and Developmental Design
- Provide a hands-on, inquiry-based style of teaching; manage collaborative learning groups; integrate technology into the curriculum
- Collaborate and co-teach with colleagues, including Resident Teachers, with a focus on differentiated instruction
- Actively participate in a faculty culture that is committed to being at the leading edge of K-8 education
- Implement the school’s new schedule for 2018-2019, including designing integrated, choice-based experiences for the new weekly Reach Beyond block.
- Report to the Head of Lower School
- A love of elementary aged children
- Master’s degree and five years teaching experience preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning in a dynamic, 21st century school community
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
- A growth mindset, active sense of humor, warm personality, and excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in educational technology
This search is being conducted by CalWest.
Interested candidates please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Hillbrook Application.”
Visit our school’s website to learn more at www.hillbrook.org.
Inquiries may be directed to our Director of Human Resources, Rozanne Schiro (firstname.lastname@example.org).