2D Art / Digital Photography Teacher – part time | Job Description
Orinda Academy is seeking a part-time art OR art and digital photography teacher to teach beginning through advanced levels of 2D art and digital photography to students in grades 9-12. Start date: mid-August, 2020
Who we are:
Orinda Academy is an intentionally small independent high school serving grades 9-12 in the town of Orinda, California, in the East San Francisco Bay Area. The majority of our students have a diagnosed learning difference, and they come to OA – and stay – because our high-support learning environment helps them to get organized, know themselves and their learning profiles better, and take ownership of their education.
We aim to send our graduates out into the world with self confidence, pride, and a good sense of how they are going to make themselves better and make the world a better place.
We are committed to honesty, justice, clarity, and the pursuit of knowledge. We want our students and faculty to understand that the things that make us different as individuals make us stronger as a community.
We know that all students learn differently, and with our inclusive mission as a foundation, we provide pathways to solid core and elective class offerings that fully prepare each graduate for college, or for any career path they choose. Our teachers care, and it shows!
Who you are:
- ● You are a hard-working art teacher with solid knowledge and experience supporting and challenging students to create and appreciate art.
- ● You really like working with teenagers; they give you energy.
- ● You have a compassionate, mindful approach to working with each student.
- ● You are comfortable and skilled speaking and working with parents and guardians,
colleagues, students, and student support staff.
- ● You are trustworthy and discreet with sensitive information about students and families.
- ● You are obsessively responsive, proactive, and communicative.
- ● You are prepared to attend and participate in independent school activities such as (but
not limited to) Back-to-School Night, conferences, student advisory, all-school retreat,
club sponsorship, and open houses.
- ● You are a lifelong learner.
- ● You have loads of empathy and patience for students who need lots of reminders and
- ● You have a sense of humor and fun.
Who you will work with:
- ● You will report directly to the Head of School.
- ● You will occasionally collaborate with other staff for projects and committee work.
- ● You will work with the Director of Academics to coordinate course articulation with DVC
(photography) and student AP portfolios
What you will do:
- ● Provide classroom instruction for students of all levels and abilities in art (or art and photography)
- ● Teach classes five days a week that include two levels of art with an honors component for advanced students
- ● Give students a foundation to both appreciate art and to create it on their own
- ● Make regular assessments of and report regularly on student achievement and
- ● For photography – coordinate process of course articulation and credit with Diablo
Valley College for college credit
- ● Manage process for advanced students who elect to submit a portfolio for AP (College
Board Advanced Placement) review
- ● Manage student submissions to local and regional art competitions as needed
- ● Curate gallery of student art in the Community Room
What we would like to see on your resume and hear from your references:
- ● You have a bachelor’s degree in art or art education; advanced degree preferred.
- ● Your love of art shines through in your teaching.
- ● You have at least two years of classroom experience as an art teacher.
- ● You have successfully worked with students of all ability levels, including students with
- ● You have solid classroom management skills.
- ● You are a supportive, positive, flexible, and collaborative colleague.
- ● You have strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- ● You are a clear, prompt, and proactive communicator both verbally and in writing.
- ● You are committed to an ethical, just teaching practice that welcomes all learners.
share in daily supervision of students and participate in professional development and ongoing curriculum review.
Academy actively seeks candidates who are committed to an equitable and inclusive culture. In addition to teaching content area curricula, all faculty at Orinda Academy
This is a part-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please send the following together in one .pdf document:
1) a brief cover letter that includes a statement of your educational philosophy and your approach to teaching art to diverse learners,
2) your resume, and
3) contact information for three recent professional references.
We will not contact references without informing you first.
19 Altarinda Road, Orinda, CA 94563 | (925) 254-7553 | www.orindaacademy.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com