The Bay School of San Francisco
Reports to: Dean of Enrollment Management and Community Culture
100% FTE, 12-month, Starts July, 2020
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School of San Francisco is a leader in innovative, student-centered secondary education, providing its students with a challenging, interdisciplinary program and a collaborative, supportive community. Our flexible, open-minded faculty and staff members foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, mindfulness, and respect for diversity. As co-builders of an innovative high school, faculty and staff contribute to a distinctively positive culture. Our campus also serves as headquarters for the CATDC (California Teacher Development Collaborative).
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of sogie (sexual orientation/gender identity expression), race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a faculty, staff, and student body that reflects the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation, and student-centered education to apply. As you learn more about Bay, check out our mission, Precepts, and our most recent programmatic launch: Bay Immersives (#1course3weeks).
Director of Marketing & Communications
As one of Bay’s lead storytellers, the Director develops and implements an innovative, strategic, integrated marketing and communications plan, consistent with the school’s unique and future-focused mission and vision. Collaborating closely with members of the Admissions and Advancement departments and Bay’s senior leaders, the Director of Communications and Marketing will strengthen the brand identity of the school by overseeing and developing compelling content for the school’s website, social media, and print materials and by executing multiple strategies to market the school to external and internal audiences. Moreover, the Director will ensure that all school communications are clear and consistent, and will develop strong working relationships with both School and Bay Family Association leadership.
The Director’s role is broad and requires a highly collaborative, process-oriented skill set. Primary responsibilities fall into three major categories: strategic brand stewardship, day-to-day communications implementation, and project management.
- Reinforcing the school’s distinctive voice, values, and brand through stewarding the school’s brand image and maintaining consistency through all aspects of the school’s graphics and materials;
- Envisioning, developing, and overseeing the school’s strategic communications, marketing, and branding objectives and plans in close collaboration with the Dean of Enrollment Management and Community Culture and Head of School;
- Employing a deep understanding of the school to identify ongoing, creative ways to tell Bay’s story about our programs, people, and distinctive mission and approach to activate target audiences (e.g. prospective families, current families, alumni, friends of the school, etc.);
- Publishing Bay’s weekly newsletter, The Current, and creating, curating, and publishing content (text, visual, media) for the school’s website;
- Overseeing Bay’s social media platforms maintained by the Admissions Department
- As Project Manager collaborating with admission and advancement offices as well as external graphic designers, photographers, and videographers to develop and produce materials, including admission brochures, the annual report, and other development-related materials;
- Assessing the impact of marketing and communication activities by analyzing website, social media, and survey metrics;
- Working with the CFOO and the Bay Emergency Response Team to maintain the crisis communications plan and related messaging;
- Managing the Marketing & Communications budget;
- Partnering with the Advancement Office and Dean’s Office to run the school’s graduation ceremony and reception; and
- Coordinating public relations efforts by producing press releases and content for Bay Area media outlets, and developing/maintaining relationships with local media.
Essential Skills & Qualifications:
- Exceptional project management & organizational skills, including the ability to initiate, anticipate, and follow through on multiple projects with firm deadlines;
- Strong verbal, writing, and editing skills;
- Demonstrated cultural competency and commitment to DEI;
- Collaborative and creative, with the ability to connect across constituents groups;
- Baseline digital photography & graphic design skills along with experience with desktop publishing software such as Adobe InDesign;
- Ability to participate in occasional evening and weekend events; and
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years experience in a comparable role.
The ideal candidate:
- Brings energy and enthusiasm to their work along with successful experience in marketing strategy and implementation;
- Possesses a natural curiosity and is a strong storyteller;
- Enjoys the daily details while also being a big picture thinker;
- Finds resonance with The Bay School mission and philosophy and a grounding purpose in marketing for a not-for-profit educational organization;
- Seeks out collegial collaboration and feedback as a means to improve;
- Commits to innovation, professional growth, and reinvention;
- Demonstrates a passion for being in a learning community; and
- Enjoys working with and inspiring high school learners in all areas of school life.
Competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
Please submit all of the following to email@example.com with Mar/Comm Dir in the subject line by March 15, 2020. Please note that incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position and in The Bay School
- Three (3) published writing samples
- A minimum of three (3) references, at least one of whom must be a current/former supervisor, with their contact information.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org