Website The Hamlin School
Requirements: Master’s Degree or equivalent in teaching
Reports to: Middle School Division Head
Primary Responsibilities: Teach multiple sections of Spanish; serve as a Middle School advisor; support fluent speaker classes; collaborate and plan with colleagues to design learning experiences for students; communicate and partner with parents
Hours/Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary Range: $75,000-$125,000 Annually (Salaries are based on years of experience)
Expectation of Employee Civility and Commitment
The Hamlin School seeks to hire employees who will support and implement the school’s mission and Creed at all times. Hamlin employees are known for being compassionate, collaborative, and dedicated professionals who treat their colleagues and supervisors with respect and who take seriously the daily care of Hamlin students. As such, Hamlin employees pay close attention to the students’ social-emotional wellbeing, their physical and mental health, and their moral development. Hamlin employees are committed to their own personal and professional growth; thus, they pay close attention to the research and innovations that impact their respective fields. All employees are expected to be flexible thinkers and nimble actors in support of the school’s overarching strategic goals and demonstrate a commitment to their colleagues’ success.
At The Hamlin School, we are committed to a policy of equal employment for all applicants and employees. As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace, we recruit and hire applicants with diverse backgrounds and with professional experience that shows their commitment to K-8 education and being a contributing member of the community.
About Hamlin’s K-8 Spanish Program and Department
The Hamlin School’s Spanish program prepares students to be empathic leaders in a multicultural, global world. Equipped with the foundational knowledge and skills of the Spanish language, students learn to build connections and community through authentic communication. By celebrating the diversity of the Spanish-speaking world, and combating bias and stereotypes, students come to appreciate the importance of multiple perspectives and become agents for peace.
Unlike many of its Bay Area peer schools, Spanish instruction begins in Kindergarten at Hamlin. At present, there are five passionate and experienced educators, all of whom are native Spanish speakers, who are responsible for instruction in language, literacy, and culture. Students receive instruction in Spanish multiple times per week.
- Provide instruction for multiple sections of Middle School Spanish
- Lead an advisory group of approximately 9-12 students
- Support students who are proficient or fluent speakers through differentiated and individualized instruction
- Amplify Spanish language and culture in the life of the school through assemblies, excursions, guest speakers, and authors
- Provide interpreting and translation support for colleagues and parents whose primary language is Spanish
- Implement curricula as identified in the Curriculum Guide
- Teach with an understanding of the development and growth of Middle School girls
- Communicate and collaborate with other faculty and staff regarding each student
- Measure and track student progress using a variety of formative and summative assessment tools
- Differentiate instruction for students with a range of skill levels
- Communicate with parents about the program and student progress
- Attend grade level student support meetings for collaborative discussion and sharing of student concerns
- Identify materials, resources, and technology needs for program
- Include use of appropriate technology tools and resources for instruction
- Create and update course web pages
- Participate actively in faculty meetings, division meetings, department meetings, and admissions/school events
- Pursue relevant opportunities for professional growth and development
- Supervise students in other venues such as recess, lunch, field trips, etc.
- Participate in an outdoor education overnight trip for 3-4 nights (additional stipend paid)
- Provide 1:1/small-group student learning support through flex periods and office hours during the school day
- Other duties and/or teaching responsibilities as needed
To apply for this job please visit hamlinschool.bamboohr.com.