Website The Bay School of San Francisco
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Database Manager & Advancement Associate
EMPLOYEE STATUS: 100% FTE, Non-Exempt, Full-Year
REPORTS TO: Director of Advancement
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM with the ability to work occasional extended weekday hours, some nights, and some weekends as dictated by the event schedule
START DATE: August 1, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $31.25-$41.00 per hour
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college-preparatory high school committed to equity and belonging within Bay and beyond. The school seeks to provide its students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our staff and faculty members (“staffulty”) foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue, and good humor. Bay students have been described as engaged and thoughtful self-advocates who value community and courage. Please visit our precepts and academics pages to learn more about our school.
The Bay School considers all qualified applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression (SOGIE), ability or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a staffulty and student body that reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation and student-centered education to apply. We encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
The Bay School conducts school in-person. All Bay School employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an approved vaccine prior to starting work unless exempted from an immunization in accordance with law, and provide documentation confirming such immunization and/or exemption.
We do not sponsor work visas.
An essential member of the Bay’s School’s Advancement Team, the Database Manager & Advancement Associate manages and maintains the integrity of donor’s giving and database records at Bay, manages the school’s donor acknowledgement process, and works with the Director of Advancement and team members to develop and monitor the Advancement Office’s annual expense budgets. As part of the Advancement team, the Database Manager & Advancement Assistant also supports all advancement-sponsored events on an as needed basis.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
EXPERIENCE: Two years + preferred experience in advancement or other administrative non profit work.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Experience with Blackbaud (Raiser’s Edge/NXT), Google Suite, Excel and PowerPoint required. Greater Giving and GiveCampus experience are a plus.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Live Scan fingerprinting, TB risk assessment, first aid/CPR training, mandated reporter training, harassment training, COVID-19 vaccination including all relevant boosters, and the ability to work occasional extended weekday hours, some nights and some weekends as dictated by the event schedule.
Data Entry/Gifts Processing/Systems Administration
- Spearheads and serves as the Administrator of the Raiser’s Edge NXT development software system to maintain data integrity and fully use the database’s capabilities to maximize fundraising;
- Serves as the point person for the development database for all data and donation-related communications with the finance, business, information technology and student record keeping offices;
- Manages system of digital record-keeping and documentation for the Advancement Office;
- Processes and enters all gifts and pledges in compliance with IRS and Bay gift reporting requirements;
- Maintains guidelines and procedures for gift entry, coding, and acknowledgments;
- Tracks pledges and issues pledge reminders as needed;
- In partnership with the Director of Advancement and the team, drafts and updates all official acknowledgments;
- Produces lists including queries and reports for tracking fundraising progress, reconciling with the Business Office, Annual Report, and mailing lists;
- Liaises and reconciles with Bay’s Finance Office on the department’s monthly giving totals;
- Serves as the department’s primary contact and facilitator for Bay’s annual financial audit;
- Provides weekly, monthly and annual reporting to the Business Office Controller to maintain up to date donor and gift records that are in sync with the schools accounting system;
- Prepares and sends out audit confirmation request letters from the Controller to donors regarding auditor selected gifts and pledge receivables;
- Prepares weekly and other custom gift reports/analysis as requested by the Head of School, Director of Advancement, and the Advancement team;
- In partnership with the Advancement team produces the monthly Dashboard for Board of Trustees meetings throughout the year;
- Stays informed of Raiser’s Edge NXT functionality and best practices to guide process improvement;
- Manages the data migration and integration for Raiser’s Edge NXT with other department databases;
- Works with the Director of Advancement to pull data and prep department data for the annual NAIS-DASL and (ABADO) Association of Bay Area Advancement Officers surveys.
- Works closely with the finance/business, information technology and student record keeping departments.
- Works with the Director of Advancement to develop the annual department budget and track all advancement expenses throughout the year;
- Tracks expenses in the Advancement budget;
- Assists as needed with the Advancement Department’s mailings, e-solicitations, and online fundraising processing;
- Participates in other stewardship and community activities designed to boost engagement and giving;
- Liaises with parent and alumni volunteers as needed for projects and events generated out of the Advancement office;
- Provides front desk coverage on occasion;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Professional Qualities/Abilities
- Strong organizational skills and communication, both written and oral;
- Ability to uphold standards of sensitivity with confidential donor information;
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload in a timely manner and handle multiple deadlines;
- Ability to stay calm and focused in a busy and dynamic work environment;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Good attitude and willingness to jump in as needed;
- Strong cultural competency and commitment to equity and inclusion;
- Ability to see both the big picture and details;
- Ability to work effectively with several constituencies (colleagues, students, parents, and community at large);
- Ability to receive and incorporate feedback;
- Ability to advocate for fund and friend raising within and outside of the school;
- Ability to use and effectively employ technology to promote department efficiency, communication and organization;
- Ability to work occasional extended weekday hours, some nights and some weekends as dictated by the schedule of a busy advancement office.
- Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds;
- Ability to sit/stand for long periods of time;
- High frequency of viewing a computer monitor.
The Ideal Candidate
- Finds resonance with The Bay School mission, philosophy, and precepts;
- Dedicates themselves to anti-bias and equity work and understands the social justice dimensions of education;
- Commits to ongoing professional growth;
- Welcomes and learns from feedback;
- Enjoys being in a high school community;
- Values mindfulness as a practice.
- Work is performed primarily in a shared office setting;
- The Bay School campus has three separate buildings that are across the street from each other. Classrooms and offices are spread throughout all three buildings and the work of this department requires frequent movement around campus during events;
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud during school hours and usually quiet outside of school hours;
- The Bay School lunch service is provided by Acre Gourmet and is available to all employees and subsidized by the school. Staffulty eat lunch in shared dining room spaces with students, in their offices or in the Staffulty lounge on the fourth floor.
- If interested in the position, please review our website, then email all of the items below to: Susie McCobb, Executive Assistant to the Heads of School, at: email@example.com,subject line: Database Manager & Advancement Associate
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Cover letter describing your interest in the position as well as how you anticipate contributing to The Bay School;
3. Contact list of 3 references, at least one of whom must be a recent supervisor.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $31.25 – $41.00 per hour
Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
San Francisco, CA 94129: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person