Do you enjoy working with youth and being part of a diverse, supportive and talented community? If so, please consider joining our team at Tessellations. We are currently accepting applications for a part-time position in our After-School Program (which we call Base Camp). Successful applicants can start immediately. Competitive salary commensurate with experience available. Note that while this is a part-time position, we are very open to hiring individuals who may be interested in transitioning to a full-time position at a later date if it works out for both parties.
Tessellations is a blossoming progressive K-8 non-profit school for gifted learners based in Cupertino, CA. Our mission is to provide challenging experiential education that recognizes and nurtures the individual strengths of gifted learners, empowering them to confidently express who they are and pursue a meaningful life. At Tessellations, community is a core value, as it is the reason our small and mighty school was able to form and thrive despite the global pandemic. Our team consists of passionate, qualified and dedicated staff from diverse backgrounds and includes nationally renowned gifted experts. Our first year was online only. In our second year, we moved onto our beautiful campus and quadrupled in size, and we also added our Nature Campus. We’re going into our third year with excellent staff and student retention, and extremely high family satisfaction.
If you join our team you will help us run our rich After-School Program, which includes everything from free play to numerous special clubs (LARP, chess, art, maker space, etc), which change throughout the course of the year. Clubs have their own teachers (either internal or outside vendors), and your job will be supervising and caring for students when they are not in clubs (some students do not participate in clubs and some stay at Base Camp after clubs end). If you would like to teach your own club one or more days per week, then we would be happy to support that. You will be heard, respected, and celebrated for your talents and efforts. You will work with students who love to learn, engaged parents who are grateful for your work, and supportive colleagues that will help bring out your best.
- Default hours: Mon-Thu: 3:15pm – 6:15pm; Fri 12:30pm – 6:15pm (note that we have some flexibility on Fri, but doing at least a 4hr shift is preferred)
- Create and foster a safe and supportive learning environment where all students Kindergarten to 8th grade feel heard
- Work with the other Base Camp staff, and with support of administration, to develop and support engaging programs and activities for the students (experience doing this is not required)
- Along with the rest of the staff, be responsible for students in both indoor and outdoor spaces
- Maintain and organize the various indoor and outdoor spaces utilized by the program
- Attend staff meetings and actively engage with professional development opportunities
- Work with the rest of the staff supporting individual children when appropriate
- Interface with families regarding after-school programming, and to facilitate check-in and check-out of the program
- Prior elementary or middle school (or related) teaching experience
- Passing a criminal background check upon job offer
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Social-emotional teaching experience
- Curriculum development experience
- Experience teaching gifted learners
- Proficiency with technology (GSuite in particular)
- Connection to nature
- Enthusiastic life-long learner
- Openness and flexibility in designing improved learning experiences
- The ability to teach your own club (topic is flexible, as long as our community is interested)
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our school, visit http://www.tessellations.school.
Tessellations is an Equal Opportunity Employer — we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, or sex.