Dean of Students
STATUS: Exempt, full time faculty member
REPORTS TO: Principal and Assistant Principal for Community Formation and Culture
HOURS: This position requires flexible hours that include nights and weekends.
St. Ignatius College Preparatory is a Catholic, Jesuit school serving the San Francisco Bay Area since 1855. Through a rigorous and integrated program of academic, spiritual, and co-curricular activities, St. Ignatius challenges its students to lead lives of faith, integrity, and compassion. Students are enriched by a diverse and loving Christian community and are called to become life-long learners who develop their individual talents for the greater glory of God. With a commitment to intellectual excellence, leadership, service, and justice, we strive to be men and women for and with others, responding courageously to the opportunities and challenges of our time.
We are seeking to hire a Dean of Students (in a two Dean system) to support our student body with the purpose of maintaining an environment where students can achieve their potential in an honest and caring manner. Our goal is to support all students as they grow to become people with and for others. Our Deans model leadership, care, and concern for the entire SI community. They will partner with the Assistant Principal for Community Formation and Culture as they approach student disciplinary issues with an emphasis on growth and reform. Full consideration is always given in an effort to educate and develop the whole student. The Deans are responsible for maintaining an environment that promotes respect for the individual, ensures the general well-being and safety of the entire student body, and is conducive to an atmosphere of study. The Deans presence on campus will be a top priority.
The following tasks are typical for a Dean of Students. Any single position may not perform all of these tasks, and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed. The Deans also serve as a member of the Small Staff committee (Principal, Asst. Principals & Deans).
● Maintain attendance records using Powerschool and provide such information to the faculty and staff.
● Maintain records of student tardiness and absences.
● An expert on adolescent development who provides guidance to students, parents, and staff/faculty, both formally and informally.
● Disseminate all student rules and regulations.
● Orientate all faculty and staff on these rules and regulations.
● Conduct all investigations into violations of the rules and regulations.
● Supervise and/or delegate after school detention or other assigned discipline.
● Serve as a member of the Discipline Board.
● Approve and post all early dismissals due to co-curricular activities or field trips.
● Allocate student lockers in the school building.
● Apprise and handle medical emergencies, call the appropriate medical help, advise parents of any emergency, follow up with results to the Principal, and follow up with parents after emergencies.
● Verify all incoming physical examination records, including immunization records.
● Place medical alerts on Powerschool.
● Coordinate and assign faculty proctoring at break, lunch periods, and after school.
● Assign proctoring of all student activities to include athletics and school dances (should the size of student spectators be limited or should there be multiple events at the same time, the Deans need only ensure that faculty/staff presence is in effect, whether they be coaches, directors, or spectators at these events).
● Update and distribute the Parent/Student Handbook.
● Maintain good communication and public relations with our neighbors in the Sunset District and SFPD (Taraval Station).
● Collect and maintain student registration forms and provide information to students and faculty regarding registration and orientation at the beginning of each school year.
● Collect the Student/Parent Handbook signature forms.
● Be responsible for keeping up with technology for office management and attendance programs.
● Maintain a working relationship with campus security in order to share information about safety issues.
● Relay information on the PA when necessary.
● Conduct graduation practices and the necessary logistical support and delegation to the proper personnel for staffing, conduct, and running of these exercises.
● The Deans’ Office will include two full time Deans and an Office Coordinator.
● This position requires flexible hours that include nights and weekends.
● Office hours are 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM.
● 10.5 month Contract
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
● Understands and supports the Mission, Vision and Culture of the school;
● Has 3-5 years of previous secondary-level administrative experience including significant supervisory experience (preferred);
● Helps to uphold the school’s mission, precepts, and philosophy, especially the school’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging;
● Has experience with restorative practices;
● Models appropriate professional boundaries with students, colleagues, parents, and community partners;
● Understands and support the goals of Ignatian pedagogy and Catholic secondary education;
● Supports the academic, co-curricular, and spiritual life of the school community;
● Has excellent time management and organizational skills;
● Is comfortable with speaking in front of large audiences;
● Thrives in a collaborative, dynamic, and faithful learning community;
● Wholeheartedly enjoys working with teens;
● Is able to commute to the Sunset District of San Francisco
● Is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including up to date on the most recent boosters).
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements (a must) to Application for Dean of Students. In your cover letter, please include examples of how diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging have been a part of your personal or professional work and how these experiences will enhance the SI community in your role.
SI OFFERS A COMPREHENSIVE AND RICH EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PROGRAM FOR REGULAR, FULL TIME, EMPLOYEES WHICH INCLUDES:
● Company paid Medical Insurance Contributions for single, two-party and family plans at a rate of 75%
● Fully paid insurance for Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D coverage for single, two-party and family plans
● Flexible Spending Plans for insurance plans plus for child care coverage
● Tuition remission program
● Student Loan Reimbursement (up to $2,000 annually)
● Annual Retirement Savings Contributions
● Professional Development Resources
SI FOSTERS A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE COMMUNITY:
St. Ignatius College Preparatory strives to be a just, inclusive, and Catholic, Ignatian community where all students, faculty, staff, parents and alumni feel seen, heard, valued, and loved and experience full acceptance. We are committed to hiring, supporting, and retaining a diverse faculty and staff. We see our determination to offer diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging not as a destination to be reached, but a continuous, life-long journey together.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.