The Bay School of SF
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college preparatory high school committed to providing its students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our staff and faculty members (“staffulty”) foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue, and good humor as well as a commitment to equity and inclusion within Bay and beyond. Bay students have been described as engaged in learning, self-advocates, community-oriented, thoughtful and kind.
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender/gender identity, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a faculty, staff and student body that reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation, and student-centered education to apply.
INSTRUCTOR IN SPANISH
We are seeking an instructor in Spanish for a one-semester placement to begin February 1, 2019. The Spanish instructor is responsible to teach four courses for the spring semester. Each class meets for eighty minutes three times a week in a rotating schedule. In addition to class preparation and classroom teaching, the instructor is responsible for:
- collaborative curricular development and alignment
- design of skills-based formative and summative assessments
- timely grading and feedback
- regular communication with the student, her/his parents, and the student’s advisor regarding
the student’s progress
- one-on-one student tutorial as needed
- weekly faculty and course team meetings
The ideal candidate
- finds resonance with The Bay School mission and philosophy;
- possesses a Master’s degree and/or Teaching Credential in Spanish Language-related fields
- has significant experience (minimum of 3-5 years):
- teaching all levels of high school Spanish, from foundational courses to advanced electives;
- using a variety of pedagogies and has familiarity with ACTFL standards;
- working effectively with a range of students;
- thinking broadly and innovatively, including through an equity lens, about curriculum and pedagogy;
- working collaboratively in a team of teachers to develop and assess curricula, lesson plans and assessments;
- addressing cultural competency in all aspects of teaching from curricular development to classroom environment;
- demonstrates multimodal pedagogical and assessment methods;
- values individual learning styles;
- brings a diversity of teaching and life experience to her/his/their work;
- values collegial collaboration as a means to improve the curriculum and the student experience as well as her/his/their own craft;
- dedicates her/himself/themselves to anti-bias and equity work and understands both culturally
responsive pedagogy and the social justice dimensions of education;
- commits to innovation, professional growth and reinvention;
- demonstrates a passion for teaching and learning as well as for the subject matter;
- enjoys working with and inspiring high school learners in all areas of school life.
- possesses a “can-do” attitude and resourcefulness
The school offers a salary commensurate with experience and a strong benefits package.
Please review our website (www.bayschoolsf.org) to familiarize yourself with our school, the humanities curriculum and theater program. If interested in the position, please send all of the items below to email@example.com, subject line: SPANISH 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1) Cover letter describing your interest in the position as well as how you anticipate contributing to the school and to the discipline team.
3) A lesson plan you’ve used in a previous or current course. Make sure to indicate for what course the lesson was developed, for what age group the lesson was directed, at what point in the course the lesson was used, and how this lesson promotes skill development/refinement and equity/inclusion.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org