Website Mark Day School
7th and 8th Grade History Teacher
Full-Time Position Beginning August 2023
Mark Day School seeks a collaborative, innovative educator with a passion for teaching United States history to 8th graders and World History to 7th graders. Join us and teach in a community characterized by academic excellence, student-centered teaching methods, close collaboration between colleagues, a block schedule, a 1:1 laptop program, and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist education. The successful applicant for this position will help advance the school’s mission with positive energy, creativity, dedication to a diverse and equitable community, love for children, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to collaborate in partnership with the wider school community.
History students learn to apply knowledge to better understand the present, pose thoughtful questions about the past, present, and future, research and critically evaluate sources, and construct historical arguments and interpretations. They also learn to analyze the impact of bias and injustice in the world and take stands on social justice issues in their everyday lives. 8th graders focus on U.S. History and Civics, and 7th graders focus on the rise of Islam, West African kingdoms, Medieval Europe, and Meso-America. History at Mark Day uses an inquiry-based, student-centered approach that emphasizes curiosity, research, communication, and discussion.
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Exhibit a passion for content knowledge and a range of effective pedagogical approaches
- Demonstrate commitment to equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices
- Cultivate an inclusive, collaborative, and challenging learning environment in which students advocate for themselves and others
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to develop integrated and meaningful curriculum and programming
- Take advantage of opportunities for professional growth, leadership, and community building
- Serve as a 7th/8th grade mentor (advisory group leader) who is committed to the social and emotional development of students
- Form supportive and responsive relationships with students and families
- Differentiate instruction to challenge every learner and provide constructive, timely feedback that fosters a growth mindset
- Use available technology to enhance student learning, faculty collaboration, and responsive communication. Technologies include: 1:1 laptops, Google Suite (mail, drive, calendar, and Google Classroom), Boxlight interactive screens, and a variety of applications and learning management tools for assigning tasks, representing learning, and providing feedback
- Serve as a chaperone on one outdoor education trip
- Attend regular team meetings and contribute to recess and lunch supervision.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Relevant teaching experience with a minimum of two years preferred
- Relevant subject area knowledge in history
- Proven track record of working effectively to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist education
- Strong skills with initiative, follow-through, organization, collaboration, and communication
Compensation and Salary Range
Mark Day School places faculty on a published internal salary scale with steps based on years of experience in education. Full-time employees also receive individual benefits through the school as well as generous professional development support. The Mark Day faculty salary range for full-time faculty positions is $68,000-139,000 depending on experience.
More About Mark Day School
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. The school is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and multiculturalism. Mark Day School’s compensation and benefits are very competitive by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website (www.markdayschool.org).
Interested candidates should visit our website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to email@example.com