Children's Day School
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade serving over 475 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways, we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
Children’s Day School (CDS) in San Francisco is looking for a talented Head Teacher to co-lead one of our upper elementary classrooms. We are seeking an experienced teacher with proven leadership ability who knows how to work with students whose love of learning and high sense of social responsibility match their high academic skills.
Job start date: mid-August, 2020
- Expertly design and implement an engaging, constructivist, age-appropriate curriculum. Areas of teaching responsibility include, but are not limited to: language arts, math, science, social science, and health & human sexuality.
- Foster and encourage the socio-emotional growth of each student, and create a physically and emotionally safe classroom.
- Establish effective relationships with each family by: confidently leading 3 sets of parent/teacher conferences each year; writing biannual progress report narratives for each student; producing weekly classroom blogs; and providing ongoing communication about curriculum and student progress as appropriate.
- Either co-teach with a co-Head Teacher or mentor a full-time Teacher who is at the beginning of his or her teaching career. Delegate appropriate work with a gradual release of increased responsibility over time. Provide clear, regular feedback and support for his or her professional growth.
- Participate actively in weekly grade level team collaboration meetings, division-specific and all-community meetings with colleagues and supervisors.
- Oversee and manage classroom budget.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong commitment to building a learning community where the people, culture and curriculum reflect the racial, ethnic, economic and family diversity of San Francisco.
- Flexibility and nimbleness in responding to the ever-changing dynamics of the COVID 19 Pandemic and a mixture of on-campus and online home learning.
- Ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and form effective partnerships with teachers, administrators and parents.
- Willingness to give and receive effective feedback to and from students and colleagues.
- Commitment to developing professionally as an educator and supporting the development of others.
- Passion for working with elementary-age youth.
- Respectful authority in the classroom.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in technology, and able to facilitate best practice online home learning as needed. Priority platforms include: G-Suite, SeeSaw, Zoom, Apple applications.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- 3+ years teaching at the elementary level
- A California teaching credential or equivalent, or in-process of working towards a CA teaching credential
- Experience with Responsive Classroom (and/or interest in being trained)
- Experience with Readers and Writers Workshop (and/or interest in being trained)
- Spanish speaker desired
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including medical, dental and vision insurance and a retirement plan.
***CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community and we seek the same in our faculty and staff***
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment in California is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com