Presidio Hill School
Presidio Hill School
San Francisco, CA
Job Title: Long-term Substitute Teachers
Status: Full-Time, preferred (Part-time will be considered)
All long-term substitute positions will be non-exempt status
Reports To: Division Director
Start Date: Immediately – June 2021
Presidio Hill School is an independent, progressive school located in the Presidio Heights neighborhood of San Francisco and serves a diverse population of 220 students enrolled in transitional kindergarten to 8th grade, with a faculty and staff of approximately 45 people. The lower school, grades TK-5, has approximately 125 students and 20 faculty members. Established in 1918 by artist-educator-activists Helen Salz and Flora Arnstein, Presidio Hill School is the oldest continuously operating progressive school in California, with a mission and deep history connected to social justice. Our Long-term Substitute Teachers will have demonstrated passion and experience teaching and working with students and a school community that explicitly strives to be inclusive.
Presidio Hill offers its students a challenging, project-based curriculum that attends to their intellectual and social-emotional needs and prepares them to be agents of positive social change. Guided by a skilled and caring faculty, students learn to be confident and curious, to be creative problem solvers and independent, critical thinkers. Learning at PHS is collaborative and active. We place great value on the arts as both an academic discipline and an essential element of a meaningful life. Situated on the edge of the Presidio, our school takes full and frequent advantage of the park’s 1500 acres; whether they are studying science, art, social studies, or literature, the Presidio is a rich and vital “classroom” to our students.
Our vibrant, diverse, and supportive community allows students to explore their unique voices, traits, and talents; our emphasis on the importance of community and justice encourages students to develop self-awareness, personal character, resilience, and an understanding of their role as stewards of the planet and citizens of the world.
Presidio Hill School seeks a faculty and staff that reflects the broad range of diversity in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our school is strongly committed to promoting cultural competency in all interactions and programs. Invested in the growth, happiness, and preparation of our teachers, we provide generous support for their professional development.
Presidio Hill School is taking a deliberate and cautious approach to reopening so that we can keep our community safe, including restricting non-essential adults on campus, minimizing exposure between staff and classroom cohorts when possible, and prioritizing outdoor learning and in-classroom fresh air flow. The School seeks Long-term Substitute Teachers (full time preferred; part time will be considered) for immediate hire through to June 2021. Qualified candidates will demonstrate a deep understanding of and interest in the developmental nuances of lower elementary school-aged children, progressive education, and anti-bias teaching practices. Candidates will ideally have prior experience teaching elementary grades (TK-5; 6-8). The long-term substitute teachers will be expected to support both our in-person and our distance learning endeavors as we begin to transition from 100% distance learning to a combination of mostly in-person and some distance learning in mid to late October. PHS utilizes aspects of Responsive Classroom, TERC Investigations, Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop, and Fundations, and candidates with experience in these areas are preferred.
In addition to providing excellent teaching and maintaining effective communication with parents and students, teachers are expected to contribute to the greater PHS community. PHS teachers work closely with each other and collaborate and engage in a positive manner; excellent interpersonal skills are a necessity.
• Establish a safe and inclusive environment where students feel comfortable taking risks through self-discovery, collaboration, and community engagement
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and equity
• Design and/or deliver curriculum and instruction in language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science that is data driven, strategy based, differentiated, multi-sensory, and hands-on, actively engaging the entire class and guided by student interest, current events, and grade level benchmarks
• Manage and support students across multiple platforms including distance learning and in-person learning
• Collaborate with classroom teachers as well as specialist teachers (Arts, Music, Physical Education, Spanish)
• Support outdoor education in the Presidio
• Support and manage classroom materials and organization
• Supervise recess and lunch duties
• Additional responsibilities as assigned
Skills, Qualifications, and Experiences
• Experience working in a multicultural environment
• Knowledge of progressive education
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of Presidio Hill School
• Teaching experience in elementary grades (TK-5; 6-8) or comparable
• Instructional experience with varied pedagogical approaches
• Good humor, flexibility, energy, a passion for teaching, and a love of learning
• Enthusiasm and excitement for outdoor education
• Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Experience with using technology to support teaching and learning including Google docs and Google calendar, iPads and iOS.
• A Bachelor’s degree is preferred
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, contact information for two to three references, and/or letters of reference via email (with Long-term Substitute Teacher in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about PHS, please visit our website (www.presidiohill.org).
To apply for this job email your details to ASPRecruitment@presidiohill.org