CHINESE AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
Chinese American International School seeks a Lower School English Teaching Associate.
This is an English language position; no Chinese language proficiency required.
Exempt, full-time position, Immediate hire, effective October 16, 2021.
Join the vibrant community at the Chinese American International School’s Lower School campus as an
English Teaching Associate. Become part of a team striving to be the world’s most innovative, inspiring, and influential Chinese English dual-language immersion school.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate finds resonance with CAIS’s mission to Embrace Chinese, Become Our Best Selves, and Contribute to a Better World. As CAIS aims to empower independent, effective, and inspired learners, we look for a candidate adept at student-centered pedagogy such as differentiation, use of assessment to inform teaching, and Workshop-based instruction. This candidate can foster a joyful learning community that strikes a developmentally appropriate balance between establishing foundational academic skills and nurturing the curiosity and creativity of our youngest learners.
Our new team member will collaborate with grade level Chinese and English partner teachers within the framework of a strong curricular vision supported by English and Chinese program directors.
CAIS offers a dynamic dual culture setting in which faculty are immersed in a culture of language learners. We look for a candidate who will embrace CAIS’s work to create an equitable, inclusive environment where all faculty, students, and families are supported in their individual identities. We welcome all applicants who aim to actively support and participate in our diverse and inclusive community.
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
● Demonstrate teaching excellence, a growth mindset, professionalism, and integrity.
● Utilize a positive discipline approach in guiding student behavior.
● Develop a positive intellectual, emotional, and social environment within the classroom and a class community in which all children feel valued and a sense of belonging.
● Work collaboratively and maintain standards of respect and mutual consideration with the school community, including students, staff, and parents.
● Communicate effectively, promptly, and proactively with families.
● Use Reading and Writing Workshop models to inform English Language Arts classroom instruction and assessments.
● Provide support for the instructional team, which includes both English and Chinese lead teachers of your designated grade band, by preparing materials, assessments, grades, and progress reports according to school procedures.
● Assist administrators and other teachers with arrival and dismissal procedures as needed.
● Maintain flexibility in one’s schedule to support all cohorts of students in a given grade level.
● Offer additional support to faculty members by taking on a role as a substitute teacher for 2nd-5th grade classrooms where needed.
● Perform daily outdoor duties and supervise students during certain recesses and lunch times.
● Possible additional auxiliary responsibilities taking place before or after the regular school day hours
● Bachelor’s degree
● Teaching experience with demonstrated success
● Commitment to meeting the needs of individual learners and promoting social and emotional development
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Dedication to equity and inclusion and ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
● Commitment to school mission, policies, and initiatives
VALUED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We value, but do not require, the following attributes:
● Teaching credential, Master’s in Education (M.Ed.), or equivalent
● Personal experience with second language acquisition
As the nation’s first dual language Chinese and English Preschool through 8th grade school, CAIS embodies this mission by working continuously to maintain our role as a leader in immersion education. At CAIS we value honest self-assessment, thoughtful self-reflection, intentional planning and focused implementation. We are known as an ambitious school, and we have just embarked on a multi-year vision to reimagine immersion, reimagine our culture of learning, reimagine character and community, and reimagine our learning spaces.
Our three campuses are located in the heart of San Francisco and are accessible by public transportation in San Francisco. The lively neighborhood echoes the school’s vital energy and provides ready access to cultural treasures such as the Asian Art Museum, SF Jazz, the San Francisco Symphony, and more.
For more information, visit https://www.cais.org/about-us/employment and the CAIS Lower School Website.
CAIS’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission. People of color and LGBTQIA
candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email cover letter, resume, and list of references to email@example.com, attention Kimberly Kaz. In the subject line please indicate: “Lower School English Teaching Associate.” Please no calls.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org