Chinese American International School
Chinese American International School
Learning Specialist (3rd-8th Grades)
This is an English language position, NO Chinese language proficiency required.
Join the vibrant community at the Chinese American International School as a member of our Student Services Team supporting students and faculty in third through eighth grades. Become part of a team striving to be the world’s most innovative, inspiring, and influential Chinese English dual-language immersion school.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate finds resonance with CAIS’s mission to Embrace Chinese, Become Your Best Self, and Create Your Place in the World. As CAIS aims to empower independent, effective, and inspired learners, we seek a specialized practitioner to provide support to students, faculty members, and families concerning issues related to children with learning differences and other special academic needs. Our new team member will collaborate with grade level Chinese and English partner teachers and enjoy a wealth of professional development opportunities. The candidate will enter an environment that values social emotional learning alongside academic challenge and does so within the framework of a strong curricular vision supported by English and Chinese directors.
CAIS offers a dynamic dual culture setting, in which faculty are immersed in a culture of language learners. We look for a candidate who will embrace and participate in CAIS’s work to create an equitable, inclusive environment where all faculty, students, and families are supported in their individual identities.
The CAIS Board of Trustees and administration are expressly dedicated to ensuring that CAIS is a great place to work. As a critical component of our strategic vision, the school has committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding top-tier faculty and excellent educators with a benefits package including:
- Salary scale benchmarked to the Bay Area’s competitive standards
- Robust opportunities for professional development, support, and growth
- Comprehensive insurance package (covering 100% of premiums for individual employee)
- Numerous opportunities to participate in international travel
- Commuting cost assistance
- Consideration for relocation
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Screening and Assessment—conduct student screenings using a variety of informal and formal assessment tools
- Observation—observe students in classroom settings to assess learning strengths and needs
- Interpretation—interpret results of in-house screenings and assessments as well as reports prepared by outside professionals (psychologists, SLPs, OTs, etc.) and communicate this information as appropriate
- Skill Remediation—provide strategic, small-group remediation to identified students on an ongoing basis
- Strategy Remediation—help students understand their individual learning profiles and develop strategies for self-advocacy and managing classroom demands
- Faculty Collaboration—work with classroom teachers and specialists to modify curriculum and implement instructional techniques to reach all learners; provide resources as necessary
- Family Collaboration—help families understand their child’s learning style, needed accommodations, and techniques that can be implemented in the home; provide resources as necessary
- Referral—make recommendations to families regarding outside evaluation and support services
- Case Management—facilitate regular communication between students, families, outside support professionals, and school personnel
- SST Meetings—attend and/or facilitate all relevant SST meetings
- Department Meetings—meet regularly with other learning specialist(s) and Student Services Director
- Constant Learning—stay current on education research and best practices
- Professionalism—work collaboratively and maintain standards of respect, confidentiality, courtesy, and mutual consideration with the school community, including students, staff, and parents.
- Master’s Degree in Special Education, Educational Therapy, or equivalent
- Minimum of five years experience directly serving children with learning differences or other special needs in a school setting
- Specialized training in remedial programs based on Orton/Gillingham methods (Wilson Reading System, Lindamood-Bell, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to school mission, policies and initiatives
- Technical/Computer skills as required for job performance
- Initial and continued tuberculosis clearance
- Initial and continued criminal background clearance by DOJ and FBI
- CPR and First Aid Certification
VALUED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We value, but do not require, the following attributes:
- Bilingual: Mandarin/English
- Experience teaching in diverse communities
As the nation’s first dual language Chinese and English Pre-K through 8th grade school, CAIS embodies this mission by working continuously to maintain our role as a leader in immersion education. At CAIS we value honest self assessment, thoughtful self reflection, intentional planning and focused implementation. We are known as an ambitious school, and in recent years we have introduced and implemented a number of significant initiatives in the areas of overseas programing, student support services, systematic assessment in Chinese, reading and writing workshop across languages, educational technology, integrated curriculum units across subjects and languages, the arts, diversity equity and inclusion, and daily scheduled team collaboration time as a part of a professional learning community, to name a few.
Our three campuses are located in the heart of San Francisco and accessible by public transportation in San Francisco. The lively neighborhood echoes the school’s vital energy and provides ready access to cultural treasures such as the Asian Art Museum, SF Jazz, the San Francisco Symphony and more.
For more information, visit https://www.cais.org/about-us/employment
CAIS’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission. People of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email cover letter, resume, and list of references to email@example.com. In subject line please indicate “Learning Specialist”. Please no calls.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org