Website Katherine Delmar Burke School
Exempt, Full-Time, On-Campus
Katherine Delmar Burke School is an independent K-8 girls’ school located on a 3.5 acre campus in San Francisco. Burke’s mission is to educate, encourage and empower girls. Our school combines academic excellence with an appreciation for childhood so that students thrive as learners, develop a strong sense of self, contribute to the community, and fulfill their potential, now and throughout life.
The Controller works as part of a team with the Director of Finance & Operations, the Human Resources Manager, and a part-time Accountant. The position is responsible for administering accounting policies and procedures and assuring reporting is accurate and timely. Strong internal controls and effective transaction processing protect the assets of the school and result in meaningful, timely and accurate financial reporting. The business office processes are largely automated, and Burke’s uses Intacct accounting software.
- Maintain the School’s general ledger and supporting subsidiary ledgers in accordance with fund accounting and Not-for-Profit GAAP
- Supports the annual retirement plan, financial audit, and Form 990 filing
- Develops accounting and funds management policies and procedures to ensure adequate financial controls, audit trails and security in conjunction with the Director of Finance & Operations
- Tracks tuition revenue, and is responsible for occasional supplemental billing
- Produces monthly, quarterly, and annual filings and reports for internal and external users of financial information
- Monitors the annual operating budget. Identifies and analyzes variances and develops appropriate solutions and recommendations
- Manages bank accounts, investment accounts, and property accounting inventory records
- Prepares monthly reconciliations for balance sheet accounts
- Works with the Advancement Office to reconcile contribution records
- Supports payroll and reconciliation of salary, benefit payments and related filings/reporting, including 1099s
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, tax filings, professional standards and internal policies, and
- Performs other duties and responsibilities assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
Every application gets serious consideration, including those with skill sets that may have yet to be included here. We welcome all applicants who will bring a unique perspective and personal characteristics to our amazing team:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA license strongly preferred
- 5 years of proven senior-level experience in a fund accounting environment with non-profit preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of all applicable accounting principles, practices and regulations
- Outstanding accounting software and computer skills (Excel, Google Docs/Sheets, Word, Sage (Intacct)
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, coupled with a high level of integrity
- Strong oral and written communication and documentation skills;
- Ability to work as an individual and in teams with initiative, project management and problem-solving skills
- Great interpersonal relationship building, supporting the entire school community with helpful attention and a customer service mindset while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
Burke’s offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and position requirements. The school is fully committed to professional development for the Controller position. The salary range for this position is $135,000-$155,000. Comprehensive benefits are provided including retirement plan contributions for eligible employees.
For immediate consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to burkes.workable.com. Burke’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to continuing to build an inclusive educational community and therefore are actively pursuing diversity in our administration, faculty, and student body. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.