The Athenian School
Position: Full Time, Temporary History/Social Science Teacher
Expected Beginning Date: August 1, 2018
Application Deadline: Until filled
Position Description: Upper School Humanities Teacher, grades 9-12. This is a one-year, temporary position to fill a leave of absence.
- Teaching 9th grade World History, and up to two upper level history and/or social science seminars (Psychology, Economics) each semester
- Bachelor’s degree in history or a social science
- At least three years of teaching experience
- A passion for working with young people
- A growth mindset, flexibility, comfort with quick pace of change and openness to experimentation
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology
- Experience with project-based learning
- Demonstrated commitment to the Athenian School’s ideals: Education for democracy, equity and inclusion, community service, multiculturalism, and environmental stewardship
- Openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning of practice as well as subject area
- MA in related field
- Understanding of independent schools
- Experience working with high school and/or middle school students
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 440 students, including 42 boarding students, 30 of
whom are international students. For more information about Athenian’s unique educational program, applicants are encouraged to visit our website: www.athenian.org.
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation, international understanding, equity, inclusion, justice, participatory government, outdoor education, and service is essential. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all teaching and professional staff at Athenian. As a school that from its founding has valued the worth and integrity of each individual, we are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.
Athenian School strives to attract and retain a faculty and staff of the highest caliber. We have a unique community here, filled with many differing opinions, backgrounds, ideologies and experiences. We have students from all over the globe, our families include a mom and a dad, two moms, two dads, single parents, guardians and stepparents. We have many faiths and those who are non-observant. We represent all income levels. What we share is a belief in Athenian’s mission. By embracing diversity in all forms — gender and gender identity, sexuality, faith, ethnicity, socio-economic status — we encourage students to take intellectual risks, to challenge their own assumptions and to learn to work collaboratively as global citizens and advocates for positive change.
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply.
Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
We ask that all candidates take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy. Please also include the particular source through which you learned about this position: newspaper, website, referral organization, etc.
Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address letter of interest to Dick Bradford, Head of Upper School.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com