Lick-Wilmerding High School
Lick-Wilmerding High School currently seeks a dedicated educator to join our English Department as a part-time teacher for the 2019-2020 academic year. This is a 40% position that can be expanded to 60%, with the addition of advising duties.
The teaching assignment includes teaching two sections of 9th grade English, as well as participation in department and faculty meetings and co-curricular responsibilities. In general, a part-time teacher will be on campus every other day. Please note that English classes average 17-18 students per section. All LWHS Faculty are also expected to be available to provide support and work with students outside of dedicated class time.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in teaching the craft of reading literature and a strong understanding of composition theory and practice
- Experience in teaching students from various middle school academic backgrounds
- Interest and ability in working on grade level curriculum teams
- Interest in curriculum development
- A commitment to equity and equitable instruction in the English classroom, which gives all students the opportunity to learn and to demonstrate what they have learned
- Personal qualities of integrity, resilience, approachability, kindness, and humor.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit www.lwhs.org/employment to apply for the position. Candidates interested in the position should submit a cover letter, resume, statement of Statement of Philosophy of English Education that will serve as a writing sample, and contact information for three references in MS Word or PDF format. No calls or emails please. Please respond to the following questions:
In your cover letter, please address the following:
- What is the value of students studying English for all four years of high school?
- How do you support students with various preparations in reading, writing, and discussion?
- What have you found to be effective in your practice of teaching writing?
- What are the multiple ways you assess students in your classrooms?
The application process begins immediately and is open until filled. No calls or emails, please.
Lick-Wilmerding High School has an institutional commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse and underrepresented backgrounds. Located in San Francisco, LWHS is a college preparatory, co-educational day school serving 515 students from grades 9-12. Founded in 1895 as a technical arts school and tuition free until 1972, LWHS has a long history of welcoming and supporting students from all walks of life and prides itself on being a private school with public purpose. At LWHS, a diverse student body, faculty, and staff in all its forms is central to what we believe constitutes an excellent education, and we are institutionally committed to ongoing reflective work in order to further define and articulate this complex and worthwhile vision.
At LWHS, the average full-time teacher workload is 4 sections of classes with an average of 16–17 students each. Successful teaching candidates will have a commitment to the following areas, further outlined in our Standards for Teaching:
- Lifelong Learning
- Commitment to Equity
- Adaptability and Flexibility
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org