Website Drew School
Drew knows and believes in teenagers. We engage each student in a process of intellectual discovery to develop an individual voice, the confidence to express it, and the empathy to understand its impact.
Founded in 1908, Drew is an innovative, progressive, independent high school located in the heart of San Francisco. Drew’s experienced, dedicated, and passionate faculty and dynamic student body form the core of Drew’s supportive and engaging community. Drew aims to foster and develop each student’s individual voice, encouraging each student to engage in a process of intellectual discovery, personal growth, and empathic learning. Drew’s curriculum focuses on experiential learning, global awareness, local community involvement, citizenship, and support of individual talents and strengths.
Job Title: Annual Giving and Events Manager
Status: Year-round, exempt
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Salary: $80,000-$100,000 DOE
Drew School is seeking a philanthropy professional to round out our team and lead fundraising efforts to enhance our exciting work. The Annual Giving and Events Manager is responsible for building, implementing, and sustaining a diverse and robust fundraising plan to support the school’s annual operating budget, expand a culture of engagement and philanthropy, and meet or exceed the school’s $1.2M unrestricted goal.
The Annual Giving and Events Manager adheres to best practices and ensures that proper fundraising policies and procedures are implemented and followed. The Annual Giving and Events Manager is also responsible for developing strategies to support annual fundraising needs, implementing effective special events, building financial reserves, and cultivating support at all levels with the Trustees, families, volunteers, alumni, faculty, and staff to achieve fundraising goals. This position is responsible for supporting budget development and planning and implementing strategies and practices that identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward existing and prospective donors.
The Annual Giving and Events Manager will also partner with the Communications team to create compelling content, design, and marketing collateral (both digital and print) and to effectively brand and market the school’s events and experiences.
The Annual Giving and Events Manager will lead the planning, design, and implementation of the I Love Drew Campaign (Annual Fund), oversee two engagement events (New to Drew Picnic and Grandparents Day), and execute two key fundraising events (I Love Drew Day and Salud, the school’s marquee gala), which altogether generate a total of $1.2M in revenue annually. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, strategic, creative, and innovative leader who possesses strong project management skills, is highly organized and deadline driven, and who embodies the ambitious and collaborative spirit to enhance the school’s annual giving and events strategy, while maximizing their fundraising potential and prioritizing diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
The Annual Giving and Events Manager will be responsible for increasing revenue, improving family engagement, enhancing the donor experience, and aligning fundraising initiatives with the school’s strategic plan. Additionally, the Annual Giving and Events Manager oversees multiple donation platforms, stewards annual gifts, and ensures proper movement of the donor pipeline.
- Apply strategic, data-driven and creative thinking to the planning and implementation of the I Love Drew Campaign to increase participation and revenue across constituencies and reach $700K unrestricted goal
- Design the strategy, theme, messaging, communications, calendar and collateral for the I Love Drew Campaign to grow both the level of participation and overall dollars contributed each year
- Manage a portfolio of donors (<$2,500) and participate in solicitations as assigned by the Director
- Conduct prospect identification and research, create prospect sheets, maintain accurate donor lists, and produce ongoing reports as needed, including giving and analytical reports to set target solicitation amounts
- Grow and manage the Annual Fund volunteer program
- Direct the strategy for the school’s fundraising events with the goal of increasing revenue, maximizing ROI, and meet revenue targets of $500,000 in the first year
- Independently manage a portfolio of high-impact experiences (New to Drew Picnic, Grandparents Day, I Love Drew Day, and Salud, the school’s marquee gala)
- Oversee the logistical planning details, including the theme, timeline, floor plan, invitation, catering, guest list, seating plan, collateral materials, staffing, entertainment, photography, rentals, and pre- and post-event reporting
- Prepare budgets for assigned events, monitor revenue and expenditures, handle invoices, and reconcile accounts
- Enhance the overall creativity, innovation, organization, profitability, family engagement, and donor experience
- Manage event committees and work closely with family, alumni, faculty, staff, and student volunteers
- Process and acknowledge all gifts and pledges in a timely manner
- Create and analyze donor and giving reports including queries, exports, and analysis
- Track event data including registrations and attendance
- Maintain consistent data upkeep, including annual rollover
- Manage logistics and data input for Drew’s online auction
- Serve as the liaison for the Alumni Council, run quarterly meetings, and work closely with Chair to increase alumni engagement
- Assist the Director in committee work, including preparing confidential reports and materials for meetings and solicitations
- Provide daily general assistance to the Director, other duties as assigned
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities
The ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to work in a fast-paced, innovative environment and possess high levels of customer service and professionalism. Essential skills include:
- Commitment to the mission of Drew School
- Strategic, creative, and poised executive presence
- Highly organized with extreme attention to detail and accuracy
- Skilled in project management
- Self-motivated and confident in working simultaneously on multiple projects with flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Grace under pressure and utmost tact, discretion and sound judgment, especially with families, donors, volunteers, alumni, students, faculty, and staff
- Highly proficient in Office and Google applications, as well as fundraising database systems (ideally Raiser’s Edge). Experience with Photoshop, MailChimp, Canva, and auction management platforms/databases a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to quality customer service
- Positive attitude
- Ability to manage highly sensitive financial and other personal information with confidentiality
- Knowledge of the Bay Area audience and philanthropic community is desirable
Drew offers a competitive compensation package including health and retirement benefits. Drew School is an equal opportunity employer and candidates with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Drew does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Drew actively seeks to create a more diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color, members of the LGBTIQ community, and marginalized communities to apply.