The Bay School of San Francisco
Start date : July 1, 2019
Reports to: Dean of Students
Direct reports: Assistant Director of Athletics, Athletic Department Associate and all athletic coaches.
Scope: Now in its 15th year, The Bay School has built a reputation for strong sportsmanship and high participation in its athletic program. A key leader of the school, the Director of Athletics is responsible for building on that reputation and further developing high quality athletic and activity programs that align with the Bay School’s mission and precepts. The Director of Athletics serves to educate the players, coaches and community about Bay’s educational philosophy in the context of physical education and athletics, and ensures that the philosophy is being upheld throughout the athletic program and school. Through sustaining a program tied strongly to the mission and precepts, the Director of Athletics also ensures that all athletic and PE programming serves the needs of the students by developing the skills, attitudes and habits that will serve them in athletics and in life. The Director is also the “cheerleader” for all things athletic, helping to motivate, inspire and celebrate coaches and student-athletes. The Bay School supports the principles espoused by the Positive Coaching Alliance.
The Director of Athletics is a highly collaborative, community-oriented school leader whose major responsibilities include:
- Developing, communicating and reinforcing the mission-aligned athletic vision, philosophy and department goals
- Leading the recruitment, orientation, development and evaluation of coaches and athletic department staff
- Assessing program effectiveness and opportunities for growth
- Problem-solving and risk/crisis management
- Understanding and endorsing all league and CIF rules, while also being an advocate for Bay’s needs with the league/commission
- Understanding transfer and collegiate eligibility and appropriately advising students interested in playing at the college level
- Facilities management and planning
- Being the spokesperson and lead cheerleader for the athletic program at a range of internal and external events
- Supervising the scheduling of practices, venues, and officials, as well as the coordinating of transportation
- Developing and monitoring the athletic department budget
- Serving on the school’s Student Support Team
- Working with parent volunteer and student leadership groups in support of athletics
- Coaching a sport team (as needed)
-Clear and valid California Driver’s License
-Ability to lift 50#
- Strong organizational skills
- Highly effective skilled communication, both written and oral
- Strong cultural competency and demonstrable commitment to equity and inclusion
- Strong skills of coaching, supervision and management
- Ability to see hold both the big picture and details
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with several constituencies (employees, colleagues, students, parents, community at large)
- Ability to receive and incorporate feedback in a timely fashion
- Ability to align individual and departmental goals and standards to the mission and philosophy of the school
The ideal candidate
- finds resonance with The Bay School mission and philosophy;
- has significant experience in
- leading a department
- effectively coaching all levels of high school students in competitive athletics and physical education;
- coaching and evaluating coaches;
- working effectively with a range of students;
- brings a diversity of teaching and life experience to her/his/their work;
- values collegial collaboration and feedback as a means to improve;
- is committed to anti-bias and equity work personally and professionally and understands how to promote equity and inclusion;
- commits to innovation and professional growth;
- enjoys working with and inspiring high school learners in all areas of school life.
Please review our website ( www.bayschoolsf.org ) to familiarize yourself with our school and our athletics and physical education programs. If interested in the position, please send the following to email@example.com , ATTN: Director of Athletics by March 22, 2019 . Incomplete materials will not be considered.
1) A current resume
2) A letter explaining your philosophy of the role of athletics in educating students as well as your interest in and fit for the position
3) A list of 3 references with contact information: current supervisor, current colleague/peer, current supervisee.
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college preparatory high school committed to providing its students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our staff and faculty members (“staffulty”) foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue, good humor and a commitment to equity and inclusion within Bay and beyond.
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity expression, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a faculty, staff and student body that reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation and student-centered education to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org