Bishop O'Dowd High School
POSITION TITLE: Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse Head Coach (Part-Time)
REPORTS TO: Athletic Director
Season Dates: Beginning of February-Mid May
Bishop O’Dowd High School is a Catholic college-preparatory community, guided by the teachings of Jesus Christ, that educates its diverse student body to build a more just, joyful and sustainable world.
Finding God In All Things Calls Us to:
Community in Diversity
Strength of Character
Kinship With Creation
Season Dates: February 7th-Mid May
Job requirements may include but are not limited to:
The Girls Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach leads all aspects of the Bishop O’Dowd High School girls lacrosse program to ensure the highest quality of spiritual, social, physical and intellectual growth for every Lacrosse student-athlete participating in the program. The Girls Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach oversees all phases of lacrosse skill development while ensuring the implementation of the school’s mission and core values. As director of the Girls Lacrosse program, the Girls Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach is responsible for the successful operation of the program(JV & Varsity Teams) as accomplished through the communication and delegation of responsibilities to coaching staff, school support staff, and families.
● The Girls Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach reports directly to the Director of Athletics. The Girls Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach is hired, supervised, and evaluated by the Director of Athletics in consultation with the Principal.
● The Girls Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach hires, supervises, evaluates and dismisses Lacrosse coaches on staff in consultation with the Director of Athletics.
● Upholds and models a spiritual and moral code consistent with the teachings of the RomanCatholic Church and Bishop O’Dowd High School’s charism. Integrates the school’s mission and Catholic identity into the coaching-learning process of the Lacrosse program.
● Serves as the overall leader of the Girls Lacrosse program and maintains a clear vision reflecting current trends in coaching and Lacrosse skill development.
● Ensures and monitors the implementation of current instructional coaching methods to maximize player development.
● Facilitates regular coaching staff meetings and assists in creating a professional development plan for coaching staff in consultation with the Director of Athletics.
● Staffs all levels of the Girls Lacrosse program and monitors the effectiveness and success of the entire program through regular meetings with coaching staff and the Director of Athletics.
● Regularly updates GirlsLacrosse program expectations to players and families in consultation with the Director of Athletics.
● Plans and develops a master practice and game schedule for the Girls Lacrosse program in consultation with the Director of Athletics.
● Represents the school at league preseason and postseason Girls Lacrosse meetings.
● Regularly seeks information from school colleagues about student well-being in order to monitor the Girls Lacrosse program’s social climate/culture.
● Regularly attends athletic department events and meetings as required.
● Participates in the annual review of the Girls Lacrosse budget with the Director of Athletics.
● Ensures compliance with policies, procedures, and bylaws from Bishop O’Dowd High School, West Alameda County Conference, North Coast Section, and California Interscholastic Federation.
● Supports academic and ministry programs of the school by encouraging student-athletes to participate in these offerings.
● Works in conjunction with the athletic trainers and strength and conditioning coach.
● Knowledgeable and experienced in supporting student-athletes in the college recruitment process.
● Leads and manages the distribution, collection and organization of all program equipment, uniforms, and related items.
● Establishes a team culture that encourages and builds strong relationships
● Works to create an environment of care and support for student-athletes
● Experience working with students and colleagues of different backgrounds, races, genders and ethnicities
Job requirements may include but are not limited to:
Serve as a positive role model to the student athletes and parents
Manage varsity assistant coaches, JV staff.
Teach skills through effectively planned practices at a level appropriate for each member of the team
Condition athletes appropriately for activities requiring endurance, strength and agility
Responsible for all aspects of directing the team’s practice and play in matches
In conjunction with athletic department schedule non-league matches and tournaments
Teach sportsmanship, cooperation, work ethic and responsibility to one’s team
Monitor players’ attendance and conduct during practice and matches
Maintain an open line of communication with students, parents, peers and the Athletics department.
Ensure schedules are communicated, rosters are kept up-to-date, and students are accounted for
Prioritize an environment of safety for our student athletes
Performs other duties as required
Playing experience and/or knowledge of the sport is required.
Previous high school or college coaching experience is preferred.
First Aid CPR or willingness to do so
NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching Certificate or willingness to do so
Candidates must be available during after-school hours and weekends
Off-season meetings and duties are also required.
The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel as well as talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand and walk. The employee may lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Hourly based upon agreed stipend.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Additionally, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
APPLICANTS, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING IN ONE PDF/WORD DOCUMENT:
● Job application via Bamboo HR
● Cover letter that includes your philosophy on coaching and developing a multi-level lacrosse program that embraces O’Dowd’s charism and mission.
● Please describe what a graduating senior from your soccer program walks away having learned and experienced.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Pre-employment background screening is required for all positions.
For more information on Bishop O’Dowd High School, please see our website at: http://bishopodowd.org.
Bishop O’Dowd High School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment policies and procedures. It follows the Diocese of Oakland’s policies prohibiting illegal harassment, retaliation or discrimination. However, as a Roman Catholic high school with a stated mission, goals and objectives that clearly reflect the teachings and educational philosophy of the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop O’Dowd High School reserves the right to require all current and prospective employees to commit to carry out their duties and responsibilities in a manner that clearly and unconditionally demonstrates support of and respect for the school’s mission and Catholic identity. Persons who in good conscience are unable to agree to this commitment should not seek or accept employment at Bishop O’Dowd High School.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.
To apply for this job please visit bishopodowd.bamboohr.com.