The Athenian School
Full Time Position: Assistant to the Head of Upper School
Expected Beginning Date: Late May or early June 2019
Application Deadline: March 26, 2019
The Athenian School is looking for an experienced candidate with superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and excellent follow-through to support the office of the Head of the Upper School in all aspects of her work. This person would coordinate all functions of the office of the Head of the Upper School and serve as a liaison between the offices of the Dean of Students and Academic Dean and their constituencies.
- Management of weekly school-wide calendar and special schedules
- Processing and distribution of student grade reports
- Editing Student/Parent Handbook and Course Catalogue
- Coordinating communication and interview procedures in the Upper School faculty hiring process
- Maintaining comprehensive daily schedule and annual calendar for Head of Upper School’s office; scheduling meetings; maintaining Head of Upper School’s ongoing calendar for reminders concerning upcoming meetings, trips, annual events and follow-up correspondence
- Coordination of graduation ceremony and other key Upper School events
- Maintaining substitute and tutor information
- Communication with students, faculty, and families
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in work, and ability to work independently on deadline-critical projects are all essential to this position
- A minimum of three years professional experience as an Executive Assistant
- Impeccable attention to detail; professional demeanor; ability to maintain confidential information; capable multi-tasker; and team player
- Excellent computer skills: advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), network and file folder management, and database management. Graphic and design skills are a plus.
- Commensurate skills of a bachelor’s degree
- Maturity to handle a broad spectrum of challenges
- Demonstrated commitment to education for democracy, justice, equity inclusion, community service, and environmental stewardship
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working in an educational setting
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated success in a complex, multi-faceted organization
- Experience with Canvas Learning Management System, Blackbaud, and Survey Monkey
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, non-exempt staff position. Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, and a daily prepared lunch.
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners, instilling in them confidence, independence, personal responsibility, and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 531 students, including 60 boarders, of whom 75% are international students. We ask that applicants take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy (visit our website: www.athenian.org).
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation, international understanding, equity, inclusion, justice, participatory government, outdoor education, and service is essential. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Athenian. As a school that from its founding has valued the worth and integrity of each individual, we are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.
Athenian School strives to attract and retain a faculty and staff of the highest caliber. We have a unique community here, filled with many differing opinions, backgrounds, ideologies and experiences. We have students from all over the globe, our families include a mom and a dad, two moms, two dads, single parents, guardians and stepparents. We have many faiths and those who are non-observant. We represent all income levels. What we share is a belief in Athenian’s mission. By embracing diversity in all forms — gender and gender identity, sexuality, faith, ethnicity, socio-economic status — we encourage students to take intellectual risks, to challenge their own assumptions and to learn to work collaboratively as global citizens and advocates for positive change.
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply.
Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references via email to:
email@example.com. Address your letter of interest to Amy Wintermeyer and make “Assistant to Head of Upper School” the subject of your email. Please include the particular source through which you learned about this position.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org