Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our World Language Department. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting-edge work and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The World Language Department seeks a dynamic and innovative teacher to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will have experience as a teacher at both the middle and upper school levels as well as experience with curriculum backward design that focuses on the proficiency-based approach to challenge all learners.
Teaching responsibilities will include three to four sections with at least two preparations. While the specific classes will be determined later in the Spring, the ideal candidate will have the ability to teach novice through intermediate levels in a secondary school setting teaching grades 7-12.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Actively participate in the work of the World Language Department on curriculum alignment, development and implementation.
● Teach three or four sections of Spanish, providing feedback and grade reports; communicate with parents, students and colleagues regarding student progress.
● Attend department and faculty meetings as scheduled.
● Master’s degree preferred in Spanish or Applied Linguistics, Bachelor’s Degree minimum.
● Minimum of three years of teaching experience, preferably with middle and high school students.
● Native or near-native fluency in Spanish.
● Experience with proficiency-driven curriculum design and ACTFL and/or CEFR frameworks.
● Knowledge of cultural products and practices of Spanish-speaking communities.
● Instruction with emphasis on communicative and task-based pedagogical approaches.
● Understanding of Backward Design approach to curriculum design.
● Knowledge of Mastery/Standards-Based Grading.
● Evidence of significant recent professional development.
● Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum.
● Experience in a school with a similar philosophy, teaching methods, and curricula to those of Windward; knowledge and understanding of independent school communities preferred.
● Willingness to contribute to school life outside of the classroom.
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people.
Salary Range: $71,350 – $134,860, depending on experience. Please review the Faculty Salary Calculator on our Careers page for additional information.
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
● And much more!
For more information about Windward School, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
To Apply: All interested candidates should submit a resume and a letter of interest via the Apply link.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.