Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our English Department as a Full-Time substitute teacher during a temporary parental leave, August to December 2023. The course assignment will include a total of five classes in grades 9-12 with two preparations.
Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The successful candidate will have experience working with collaborative teams as well as teaching experience at both the middle and upper school levels. Teaching responsibilities will include five sections of English, with two preparations.
In the English Department, students and teachers work together to deepen skills and understandings in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. We read a variety of challenging texts to promote critical thinking and stimulate reflection, including prose—both fiction and nonfiction—poetry, and drama. In partnership with reading texts closely and writing across a range of genres, students cultivate increasingly dynamic rhetorical skills, particularly as discussion participants. Courses support and challenge students to better understand their own learning processes and to acquire increasingly sophisticated strategies as learners.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Teach five sections of English in grades 9-12
● Collaborate with grade level teaching teams
● Monitor and evaluate students’ progress, craft narrative feedback for students, etc.
● Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research, and topics of importance in language arts education by applying it in the classroom
● Participate in regular, purposeful pedagogy meetings and in professional development sessions
● Communicate with parents and Division administrators as necessary regarding student progress
● Be accessible and responsive to students by email and in person
● Perform other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job, as requested by the divisional directors
● A bachelor’s degree in English Literature or a closely related field, advanced degree preferred
● A minimum of three years’ full-time experience teaching English, six or more years preferred
● A demonstrable passion for literature, writing, and working with young people
● Excellent written and oral communications skills
● Evidence of significant recent professional development
● Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum
● Experience in a school with a similar philosophy, teaching methods, and curricula to those of Windward; knowledge and understanding of independent school communities preferred
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
● A commitment to creating a welcoming community that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
Salary Range: $71,350 – $134,860, depending on experience. Please review the Faculty Salary Calculator on our Careers page for additional information.
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
For more information about Windward, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
To Apply: All interested candidates should submit a resume, three letters of recommendation and a letter of interest via the Apply link.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.