Windward School is a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles. Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage our students to be responsible, caring, well-informed, ethical, prepared, and well-balanced young adults.
Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
As a member of Windward’s Communications team, the Digital Communications Specialist will oversee day-to-day content management and design of the School’s website and social media properties. Utilizing best practices and current technological tools, the Digital Communications Specialist will work to facilitate information delivery and dynamic storytelling in a variety of media across numerous delivery channels. This role requires a strong daily visible presence on campus to keep apprised of school activities. Clear communication of all assignments, project status updates and receptiveness to feedback are essential qualifications for this position. This position reports to the Director of Communications.
● Solicits, creates, edits, and publishes web content that is timely, accurate, relevant, and reinforces our brand.
● Implements day-to-day internal and community email messaging via Finalsite platform.
● Produces three weekly newsletters (parent, faculty/staff, and students). Solicits, writes, and edits all content; publishes via Finalsite.
● Manage three online community calendars via Blackbaud.
● Develops ongoing methods of analyzing user feedback, promoting the website, and evaluating the site’s effectiveness as a communication vehicle.
● Manages technical support needs with the School’s web provider (Finalsite).
● Serves as first point of contact for all parent questions regarding access to Windward’s website and MyWindward Portal.
● Serves as primary community manager for Windward’s social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Vimeo, YouTube), coordinating with all other social community contributors (departments and programs) across the School. During the school year, this will involve publishing on social platforms three to five times a week.
● Monitors how the School is portrayed on the Web and in social media on a continual basis, evaluating community participation, engagement, and online presence.
● Covers school events (interviewing sources, shooting video, working with school photographer) for social media and the website.
● Researches and develops strategies to incorporate emerging social media tools and new content platforms into an overall multi-channel communications plan.
● Ensures that all digital content adheres to the School’s editorial style and visual identity standards.
● Manages and updates internal faculty/staff and parent portals.
● Assists with crisis communications efforts as needed.
● Contribute to the creation of print publications including:
● Researching, writing, and editing assigned articles for communication publications and marketing pieces as needed.
● Bachelor’s degree in digital journalism, communications, English or related field
● Demonstrated experience maintaining and building web pages using a Content Management System (knowledge of Blackbaud and/or Final Site strongly preferred) required
● Independent school or higher education experience preferred
● Minimum 3-5 years’ experience demonstrated experience preparing multimedia assets (photo, video, audio) for the web. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign) and video editing software (e.g., Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, iMovie) a plus.
● Strong editorial, writing, and proofreading skills
● Strong knowledge of social media platforms and trends. Proven success working strategically with external-facing social media channels.
● Understanding of metrics, analytics, and tools to measure the effectiveness of online initiatives
● Familiarity with HTML, SEO, database management, and content management systems
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Ability to meet deadlines
● Ability to organize and prioritize own workload in timely manner to complete assignments when faced with multiple deadlines and competing requirements
● A strategic and curious mind and an ability to identify potential story ideas and ways to optimize new technology
● Comfort with and enthusiasm for educating others in the usage of technology and best practices for communicating online
● Familiarity with AP style
● Experience with photography and video (basic techniques)
● Proactive approach to work and strong work ethic
Salary Range: $70,000 – $85,000, depending on experience.
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
● And much more!
For more information about Windward School, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
To Apply: All interested candidates should submit a resume and a letter of interest via the Apply link.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.