Website Trinity School
An environment where every child is known and valued
Title: Library Specialist
Hours: Non-exempt. To be coordinated with the School’s operation and needs
Reports to: Head of School and Head of Elementary Campus
Trinity School is an outstanding elementary day school serving preschool to Grade 5 in Menlo Park, CA. Located across the street from Stanford and on Sand Hill Road, Trinity is a purposefully small school and has partnered with parents for over fifty years to grow children, one at a time, into motivated and capable problem solvers with a big heart.
The Library Specialist provides and supports the media resources that leverage and enhance the learning goals of Trinity School, ensuring that the Library is an inviting “hub” for learners. She/he works under the day-to-day guidance of the Head of Elementary. They are responsible for the planning, development, implementation, evaluation, overall management, and maintenance of the library program. They are also responsible for coordinating all library, media, and information services.
Through library visits and classroom collaborations with teachers, the teacher librarian nurtures critical thinkers and enthusiastic readers. Candidates must have extensive knowledge of diverse voices in children’s literature, experience partnering with elementary teachers, and the managerial acumen to administer library operations, including collection management, programming, and volunteer opportunities.
Trinity is particularly interested in candidates who will enrich the diversity of identity and lived experience that strengthens a community and empowers students to engage across differences. Trinity provides substantial resources for professional learning in areas including adolescent development, learning differences, and intercultural competence.
Credentials and Expertise:
- Valid California Teaching Credential or equivalent from another state with work toward the California Teaching Credential in progress, Master of Library Science degree, and extensive computer training and experience preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Library Science (MLS) or Library & Information Science (MLIS) or in Education
- Preferred 3 experience in all aspects of library operations and/or working in a classroom environment.
- Mastery of subject or specialty area as evidenced through previous work experience or personal accomplishments
Skills and Characteristics:
- Appreciation of the developmental and age characteristics of preschool/elementary-aged students
The ideal candidate will also have experience utilizing differentiated instruction in an independent school environment.
- A passion for teaching children and helping them to achieve their best as they teach 21st-century information skills.
- Vast knowledge and deep passion for children’s and young adult literature
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the school and for working collaboratively with fellow faculty members
- Flexible, creative, organized, growth mindset and innovative educator
- Initiative, confidence, and joy
- Create and maintain a physically inviting, functional, student-centered library space.
- Positive team player with a get-it-done attitude, Good judgment, and creative problem-solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with children, other faculty, and parents
- Excellent organizational skills: accurate and attentive to detail
- Commitment to the development of relevant professional knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge, willingness, and ability to support the canons of the Episcopal Church
- Trinity School is a non-smoking environment
- Manages the library collection and the automation system
- Conducts library sessions for each grade level at least once a week or as needed by the classroom teacher or at the request of the Head of the Elementary
- Manages volunteer library help
- Manages the Birthday Book program
- Ensures that the Library is an inviting and much-used facility to promote reading as well as an extension and enrichment of the classroom curriculum and a venue for special events
- Assists students in becoming motivated readers and users of the Library amenities
- Assists teachers in accessing the collection and in having input regarding acquisitions
- Maintains the Library open during recesses
- Substitutes as needed for teachers when other coverage is not feasible
- Writes a monthly blog for each grade level describing the progress of the Library: topics, concepts, events, etc., or offering suggestions for parents around topic of reading
- Manages the library budget
- Adheres to and upholds the Trinity Teaching Standards, understanding and incorporating ALA’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner
- Supports the Early Childhood Program with weekly visits to oversee the library collection, provide the book bag program, as well as support to ECP faculty with library resources
- Plan and facilitate the annual Book Fair
- Create and maintain connections with local bookstores
- Research and make connections with publishers and publicists for author visits (we average four a year)
- Collaborates with the Learning Support Coordinator to support struggling readers
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability and motivation to make the necessary commitment to integrate subject matter with the work of the grade-level curriculum.
- Ability and motivation to build and adhere to a consistent set of skills and standards for students in junior kindergarten through grade five
- Knowledge of acceptable use in instruction and technology for both adults and students
- Basic computer knowledge and skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, multimedia, database applications, email, Internet, and general hardware and software troubleshooting
- Upholds the mission of Trinity School
- Upholds the NAIS and CAIS Principles of Good Practice
- Is thoroughly familiar with ECP and elementary academic and co-curricular programs
- Is attuned to the culture of the School and its surrounding communities
- Supports and actively contributes to the School’s commitments to diversity and sustainability
- Attends Summer Institute and Team Tuesday Meetings
Please send a current resume and a letter of interest to Colette McWilliams, Head of Elementary @email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org