Overview of school:
Seven Hills School, founded in 1962, offers an outstanding PS-8th grade program for approximately 424 students. The beautiful campus is located on 9 acres of former ranch land near Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek, CA (approximately 35 miles from downtown San Francisco), and offers students and teachers the daily opportunity to move freely from engaging classrooms to expanses of outdoor space. The school is committed to building an inclusive community with class sizes that allow for greater differentiation, building strong partnerships with parents, and employing passionate teachers who love what they do and bring creativity and innovation to their teaching practice. Seven Hills School is a learning community whose mission is to develop the intellect, engage the spirit, and foster respect for and responsibility to our world.
Overview of position:
The Learning Specialist for grades 6-8 is responsible for supporting the academic, social-emotional and developmental growth of students, with a particular emphasis on math, Language Arts, and executive function skills. Other areas of focus for the individual in this position include:
- regular planning and teaming with departments to ensure academic progress
- providing individual and small group academic support to students
- assisting classroom teachers with relevant benchmark assessments throughout the school year
- collaborating regularly with the Learning Specialist for grades 4-5
- serving as a key member of the Middle School team
- working closely with the Head of Middle School, the school psychologist, parents and outside professionals
This is a position with competitive salary and excellent benefits, commensurate with experience.
Successful candidates will:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Be committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Have experience working in a middle school classroom
- Have a demonstrated ability to help provide a differentiated program addressing various skill levels and learning styles, including providing targeted intervention
- Have knowledge of developmental stages of children ages 11-14
- Have a deep respect for young children and their capabilities
- Have excellent communications skills as the person often translating concerns for families and teaching staff
- Have experience with inquiry-based teaching strategies and real-world applications
- Have a demonstrated ability to help establish a classroom culture that is built on strong teacher-student relationships and allows for risk-taking
- Have a comfort level with the use of technology for teaching and learning
- Have a demonstrated ability to initiate, fully participate in and foster strong collegial relationships
- Be self-aware and able to build on others’ ideas, capitalize on others’ strengths and effectively share responsibility
- Have a demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Have a growth mindset, active sense of humor, warm personality, and excellent organizational and communication skills
Please complete the online application found at:
After you submit the application, please follow the directions on the screen to email your resume and transcripts. No calls.
Screening and invitation for interviews will begin immediately. The hiring process will include interviews with the Division Director, Hiring Committee and Head of School.