Position Title: Middle School Teacher
Full-Time Equivalency: 1.0 (full-time)
Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) Classification: Exempt
Supervisor: Assistant Head of School for Middle School, Victor Llanque
Salary Range: 60,000-100,000 negotiable based on experience
Founded in 1962, the Seven Hills School is a learning community whose mission is to develop the intellect, engage the spirit, and foster respect for, and responsibility to, our world. Our beautiful campus, located on nine acres of former ranch land near Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek, CA (approximately 35 miles from downtown San Francisco), is home to our outstanding PS-8th grade program and offers over 420 students the daily opportunity to move freely from engaging classrooms to great expanses of natural outdoor space. We believe every student deserves a whole child education that harmonizes their academic growth and social and emotional development.
At Seven Hills, learning is joyful–from the Preschool sandbox to the 8th grade position paper, learning is fueled by curiosity, exploration, and the love and encouragement of trusted adults. Our small class sizes allow for greater differentiation, building strong partnerships with parents, and employing passionate teachers who love what they do and bring creativity to their daily practice of challenging, nurturing, and inspiring each child.
Seven Hills seeks a history teacher to join our vibrant Middle School faculty to teach in grades 6, 7, or 8. Our Middle School’s history program begins with a survey of ancient world history in 6th grade, followed by US history in 7th grade and modern world history in 8th grade. The history curriculum is influenced by our school’s unique travel program, which includes a 7th-grade trip to Europe that interrogates the role of the United States in World War II, and an 8th-grade trip to Japan that is part of a cultural exchange program with schools in Tokyo. The position includes includes the following responsibilities and additional duties as needed:
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Create a community of learners in which students develop the skills of self-advocacy and resilience while demonstrating empathy and compassion for others.
- Plan, implement, and assess four sections of history (combinations of three sections in one grade level of history and one section in another grade level).
- Advise a group of 8-9 students to monitor their progress over time, and communicate with their families about their progress.
- Teach two trimesters of elective classes, which meet twice a week, on topics of interest to the teacher or the students (e.g. watercolor painting, origami, soccer, etc.)
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues (including history and language arts teachers) when designing the overall history program and special projects in the humanities.
- Provide a hands-on, inquiry-based model of teaching, and manage collaborative learning groups
- Provide ongoing communication with families, regularly reporting on student progress.
- Attend regular staff meetings, participate in grade level team meetings, and take part in ongoing professional development.
- Work with the Support Services team and Division Directors in service to students with specific learning needs
The Ideal Candidate
At Seven Hills, our mission and creed—be respectful, caring, positive, responsible, honest, mindful, and grateful—provides the foundation for the learning environment we strive to create. Ideal candidates for any role would be individuals whose personal, educational, and professional backgrounds demonstrate their potential to fully embrace and live out the school’s mission and creed.
- Bachelor’s degree in history or related field
- Experience in teaching (at the 6-8 grade level preferred)
Skills & Attributes:
- Self-reflective and open to learning opportunities to grow professionally
- Creativity and resourcefulness in supporting students’ skill development
- Ability to foster a safe, predictable, and supportive environment for students
- A positive attitude in engaging in duties and responsibilities
- Integrity and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Self-awareness and ability to interact respectfully with colleagues
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits. The salary range for this position is $60,000-$100,000. The school’s generous benefits include tuition remission for employee children, employer contributions to a 403B retirement plan (8% of gross wages; vested over five years), and partial or total contributions to a wide range of California Choice health care plans. The school also offers access to optional vision, dental, and supplemental insurance plans, as well as Flexible Spending Plans (Medical Dependent Care). Employees accrue one sick day per month worked and receive three personal days a year. Faculty also benefit from the school’s closure during the summer and at various times throughout the school year. Benefits include breakfast and lunch provided by in-house chefs and free parking. Faculty can apply for professional development funding and curriculum development grants. More details are provided to candidates who receive an offer.
Teaching at Seven Hills
Seven Hills teachers are compassionate and experienced lifelong learners; they are well-versed on current research and educational trends that positively affect student learning. They are actively involved in curriculum development, planning, and implementation within their classrooms and wider school community. Creativity and innovation are encouraged and supported in order for teachers to engage their students through inspiring classroom experiences. Seven Hills teachers seek to create an inclusive environment that encourages student collaboration and risk-taking.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter via email to Assistant Head of School for Middle School, Victor Llanque, at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please explain your interest in this position, including in what ways your background has prepared you for this role, and what draws you to Seven Hills school and mission.
As an equal opportunity employer, Seven Hills School recruits, hires, and promotes without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.