Website The Bay School of San Francisco
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: School Counselor
EMPLOYEE STATUS: 50% FTE (Part-Time), Non-Exempt, Academic-Year REPORTS TO: Associate Head of School
WORK SCHEDULE: See details below
START DATE: August 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024; First day on campus August 14, 2023 SALARY RANGE: $45.00-$49.00/hr
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college-preparatory high school committed to equity and belonging within Bay and beyond. The school seeks to provide its students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our staff and faculty members (“staffulty”) foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue, and good humor. Bay students have been described as engaged and thoughtful self-advocates who value community and courage. Please visit our precepts and academics pages to learn more about our school.
The Bay School considers all qualified applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression (SOGIE), ability or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a Staffulty and student body that reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation and student-centered education to apply. We encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
The Bay School conducts school in-person. All Bay School employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an approved vaccine prior to starting work unless exempted from an immunization in accordance with law, and provide documentation confirming such immunization and/or exemption.
We do not sponsor work visas.
The focus of Bay’s counseling office is to provide drop-in and short-term counseling for adolescents and to provide referrals for ongoing therapy outside of school. The school counselors work closely with the Dean of Students, Student Life office, and, if schedule permits, serve on the school’s Student Support Team. The counselors can also expect to confer with parents/guardians and students’ outside therapists with a signed release of information (ROI).
The position is part-time and approximately 20 hours a week. The exact schedule of those hours will be made in consultation with the supervisor and current school counselors. Note that these hours will occur between 8am and 4pm, Monday-Friday as the counselor will be providing counseling services to students and collaborating with other members of the counseling office; in addition, there are approximately 2-3 hours of self-scheduled phone calls/conferencing per week.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in psychology or social work.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 4 years experience as a therapist working with adolescents in private practice or a school setting.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Proficient in Google Suites
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES: Current California state licensure (e.g LMFT, LPCC, LCSW, etc.)
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Live Scan fingerprinting, TB risk assessment, first aid/CPR training, mandated reporter training, harassment training, COVID-19 vaccination including all relevant boosters, and unflagging commitment to upholding the ethical standards of the profession.
The Ideal Candidate
● Finds resonance with The Bay School mission, philosophy, and precepts;
● Is highly collaborative;
● Is a highly effective communicator and systems thinker;
● Has a demonstrated commitment to social justice, equity, and inclusion, approaching clinical work with cultural humility and cultural responsiveness;
● Has experience facilitating compelling mental/emotional health-related workshops or presentations to parents;
● Has strong record-keeping and documentation skills while maintaining the confidentiality of student records;
● Has experience working with a diverse student population, including those with learning differences/disabilities;
● Has an expansive knowledge of gender identity and experience working with gender-fluid, nonbinary, and transitioning youth;
● Possesses a growth mindset that manifests in a dedication to improving own practice, school systems, and social-emotional curricula;
● Has experience developing mission- and culturally-aligned protocols and procedures for a school counseling office;
● Has a broad professional network;
● Has experience with or training in mindfulness.
● Ability to sit/stand for long periods of time;
● Office is on the third floor with elevator access.
● Work is performed primarily in a private office space;
● The Bay School campus has three separate buildings that are across the street from each other. Classrooms and offices are spread throughout all three buildings and the work of this department requires frequent movement around campus. All buildings are ADA compliant;
● The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud during school hours and usually quiet outside of school hours;
● The Bay School lunch service is provided by Acre Gourmet and is available to all employees and subsidized by the school. Staffulty eat lunch in shared dining room spaces with students, in their offices or in the Staffulty lounge on the fourth floor.
If interested in the position, please review our website (www.bayschoolsf.org) then submit all of the required materials below to email@example.com, subject line: CSLR2324
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Position open until filled.
● Cover letter explaining your interest in the position at Bay and your philosophy of working with adolescents;
● Contact list of 3 references, at least one of whom must be a recent supervisor.