Physical Education Teacher
Are you an experienced, imaginative, and collaborative educator who believes in progressive gifted education? Do you enjoy creating meaningful learning experiences, and being part of a diverse, supportive and talented community? If so, please consider joining our team at Tessellations. We are currently accepting applications for a full-time Physical Education Teacher position. Successful applicants start immediately. Competitive salary and full benefits available.
Tessellations is a progressive K-8 non-profit school for gifted learners based in Cupertino, CA. Our mission is to provide challenging experiential education that recognizes and nurtures the individual strengths of gifted learners, empowering them to confidently express who they are and pursue a meaningful life. At Tessellations, community is a core value, as it is the reason our small and mighty school was able to form and thrive despite the global pandemic. Our team consists of passionate, qualified and dedicated staff from diverse backgrounds and includes nationally renowned gifted experts. Our first year was online only. In our second year, we quadrupled in size, and we also added our Nature Campus. We’re in our fourth year with excellent staff and student retention, and extremely high family satisfaction. We moved to a larger campus in order to house our growing population, and in Fall 2024 we will launch our high school.
If you join our team you will help us grow our program and continue designing and delivering a rich, immersive learning experience. You will be heard, respected, and celebrated for your talents and efforts. You will work with students who love to learn, engaged parents who are grateful for your work, and supportive colleagues that will help bring out your best.
- Work collaboratively with co-teachers, coaches, staff and administration to plan and deliver an educational P.E. program in line with the mission, vision, and values of the Tessellations organization and the National Standards for Physical Education classes K-8th grade
- Plan and implement lessons, activities, and instruction while adapting to the intellectual, physical, and social-emotional needs of students as they arise.
- Maintain engaging, safe and organized learning spaces that reflect school identity, program values, and student identities, voices, and learning.
- Maintain organizational systems in physical and digital space that support the P.E. program.
- Manage the Physical Education materials, ensuring adequate supplies and safe, working conditions of materials.
- Support students’ social and emotional learning through sport and play.
- Support the building of a student play culture that values inclusivity, sportsmanship, and kindness.
- Lead the “Junior Coaches” program, helping students to develop the skills to lead games and social problem-solve with one another.
- Support recess set-up, equipment, and duties as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and actively engage with professional development opportunities
- Attend and supervise students during grade-band camping trips as needed
- Maintain and utilize an effective information system on student progress and learning
- Prepare progress reports and report cards in school system.
- Arrive on time to classes and supervision assignments.
- Ensure proper supervision of all students under your care.
- Utilize curiosity, questions, respect, and empathy in community conversations.
- Honor professional commitments.
- Seek out opportunities for professional development and/or make an effort to conduct action research and/or try new strategies and approaches.
- Welcome feedback from colleagues and supervisors and take action.
- Actively participate in committee and department meetings, always offering suggestions and helping to carry out action items.
- Seek support and utilize resources as needed to ensure execution of educational program and professional commitments.
- Be proactive in serving the community (such as picking up trash, supporting a colleague, volunteering to help cover an emergency absence etc.).
- Complete other duties and responsibilities as required to ensure student safety and educational instruction.
- Support school operations and supervision duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Prior middle school (or related) teaching experience
- Experience teaching gifted learners
- Passing a criminal background check upon hire
- Proficiency with technology (GSuite in particular)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Social-emotional teaching experience
- Curriculum development experience
- Familiarity with and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion practices
- Openness and flexibility in designing improved learning experiences
- Values collegial collaboration and individual improvement
- Enthusiastic life-long learner
- Experience teaching twice exceptional learners
- Master’s degree
Salary range: $77,000 – $110,000
This position is not compensated during Summer 2024 (approximately 6 weeks of break); however, it will be paid on a year-round basis at the start of the 2024-25 school year, including summers after 2024. For Summer 2024, there is potential for paid summer work at the summer school.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), flexible spending account, paid time off, holidays, and school breaks.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our school, visit http://www.tessellations.school.
Tessellations is an Equal Opportunity Employer — we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sex, or reproductive health decision making.