Tessellations, The Beneventi School, is searching for an individual to be trained in the administration of Annemarie Roeper’s Gifted Qualitative Assessment (GQA) and to join our admissions team. GQA is a relational method of evaluation that focuses on intensities and sensitivities which underlie a gifted individual’s cognitive capacity. GQA does not separate the cognitive from emotional development of the individual but rather endeavors to understand the emotional need behind commonly agreed upon characteristics of giftedness. GQA is used to identify giftedness in our admissions process and determine appropriate fit in our program. This process has been used since 2007 to successfully identify and select students for gifted schools. Following an initial screening process, student applicants are assessed using GQA.
We are seeking individuals who can begin being trained by our Gifted Specialist, Anne Beneventi. The position can start as part-time or full-time, but in any case would be full-time by the 2022-2023 school year. The selected candidate/s will prepare to be certified as Practitioners by the GQA Core Group, which includes Dr. Linda Silverman of the Gifted Development Center (in addition to Anne Beneventi). The goal of the certification is to assure that future practitioners embody the philosophy, possess the necessary skills to perform the assessment, and offer exceptional services to clients.
About Tessellations School
Tessellations is a blossoming progressive K-8 non-profit school for gifted learners based in Cupertino, CA. Our mission is to provide challenging experiential education that recognizes and nurtures the individual strengths of gifted learners, empowering them to confidently express who they are and pursue a meaningful life. At Tessellations, community is a core value, as it is the reason our small and mighty school was able to form and thrive despite the global pandemic. Our team consists of passionate, qualified and dedicated staff from diverse backgrounds and includes a nationally renowned gifted expert. Our first year was online only. In our second year, we moved onto our beautiful campus and quadrupled in size, and we also added our Nature Campus. We’re going into our third year with excellent staff and student retention, and extremely high family satisfaction.
About Anne Beneventi
Anne Beneventi is Annemarie Roeper’s successor with the authority to train others in GQA. We plan to have Ms. Beneventi mentor and train someone to follow in her footsteps and become a Practitioner of Gifted Qualitative Assessment. A 3 year commitment to the school is necessary, including 1 year of training and 2 years in the position of Practitioner.
- With the support of the current Director of Giftedness, learn the assessment process so as to be able to conduct assessments independently. This includes preliminary screening of applicants, conducting the assessment, interpreting IQ and achievement tests, developing a resource and referral bank, conferencing with parents, participating in admissions team decisions and making recommendations to the school and families as needed
- Represent Tessellations during the admissions process (along with the rest of the admissions team) and serve as a face of the school to the broader community
- Willingness to work a non-standard schedule. During admissions season the position requires some evening and weekend work, and there will be accordingly less work during other times of year
- Ability to exercise good judgment and use discretion with confidential information
- Ability to help integrate families into the school community
- Advise teachers and staff re support solutions for students post-acceptance, if appropriate
- When appropriate, support teachers in parent/teacher meetings/conferences on issues surrounding specific student issues
- Foster a safe and supportive learning environment where all students feel heard
- Attend staff meetings and actively engage with professional development opportunities
The candidate should be aligned with child-centered education and progressive practices, be a team player who has a warm, collaborative nature, positive energy, and strong organizational skills. They will have the ability to interact comfortably with a variety of people and will have genuine empathy for prospective families seeking an educational placement for their children. Strong interpersonal, presentation, networking and verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
The following are required:
- Advanced Degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or Related Field Preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of teaching, counseling or admissions work
- Experienced with and understanding of gifted students
- Energetic and enthusiastic individual who is accessible, self-reflective and willing to learn
- Openness and flexibility
- Willingness to learn to accurately assess the needs of gifted children
- Ability to be fully present without judgment
- Ability to gain sensitive rapport with young people
- Skill at synthesizing complex patterns
- Self-awareness and insight
- The courage to respond authentically
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with technology (GSuite in particular)
- Professional boundaries
- Strong commitment to Tessellations School and its mission
- Passing a criminal background check upon hire
- Social-emotional teaching experience
- Experience teaching gifted learners
- Familiarity with and commitment to DEIJ issues
- Connection to nature
- Enthusiastic life-long learner
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. For more information about our school, visit http://www.tessellations.school.