Director of After-School and Summer Programs
Are you an experienced, imaginative, and collaborative program administrator? Do you enjoy working with youth and being part of a diverse, supportive and talented community? If so, please consider joining our team at Tessellations. We are currently accepting applications for a full-time Director of After-School and Summer Programs. Successful applicants can start immediately. Competitive salary and full benefits available.
Tessellations is a progressive K-8 non-profit school for gifted learners based in Cupertino, CA. Our mission is to provide challenging experiential education that recognizes and nurtures the individual strengths of gifted learners, empowering them to confidently express who they are and pursue a meaningful life. At Tessellations, community is a core value, as it is the reason our small and mighty school was able to form and thrive despite the global pandemic. Our team consists of passionate, qualified and dedicated staff from diverse backgrounds and includes nationally renowned gifted experts. Our first year was online only. In our second year, we quadrupled in size, and we also added our Nature Campus. We’re in our fourth year with excellent staff and student retention, and extremely high family satisfaction. We moved to a larger campus in order to house our growing population, which will eventually be approximately 320 students in K-8. We’re also launching our preschool in January and our high school in Fall 2024.
If you join our team you will help us continue to grow our successful After-School Program, called “Base Camp,” which includes everything from free play to numerous special clubs (LARP, chess, art, coding, etc), which change throughout the course of the year. You will also launch and manage our much anticipated Summer Program for students. You will be heard, respected, and celebrated for your talents and efforts. You will work with students who love to learn, engaged parents who are grateful for your work, and supportive colleagues that will help bring out your best.
This position reports to the Head of School.
- Manage the After-School and Summer Programs at Tessellations, including but not limited to personnel management, vendor management, enrollment, financials, and safety.
- Ensure that the offerings are high quality and serve our specific population well. This includes vetting and managing teachers and vendors.
- Collaborate with families and students to understand their needs, gather feedback, and tailor programs to fit our specific population.
- Develop and implement efficient operational processes, ensuring smooth enrollment, scheduling, communication, and logistics for all program offerings.
- Oversee facility management, equipment procurement, and technology integration to create a conducive learning environment (working with our existing facilities and technology teams).
- Develop and manage the budget for the program, including forecasting revenue, expenses, and resource allocation.
- Ensure that the program is financially healthy.
- Identify opportunities for revenue growth, cost-saving initiatives, and alternative funding sources such as grants or sponsorships.
- Monitor financial performance, generate regular reports, and provide recommendations for adjustments to achieve financial goals.
- Negotiate vendor contracts.
- Prepare invoices to families as needed (working with our existing accounting team
- Manage the complex scheduling needs for both programs.
- Manage the student enrollment of both programs, including registration and waiting lists.
- Maintain accurate daily records of student attendance, as well as records of student check-in & check-out times.
- Maintain records relating to the management of the program, ensuring confidentiality and data protection of the children, their families and staff.
- Review and approve timesheets and invoices for program staff and contractors.
Communications and Marketing
- Manage the marketing of the programs (internally for after-school, and both internally and externally for summer). The programs should both increase the existing families excitement and participation with the school and also garner outside interest which should ultimately translate to both a more successful summer program and also increased admissions interest.
- Communicate as necessary with families and staff re the programs (class announcements, answering questions, problem resolution, etc.).
- Act as a spokesperson for the programs at events, meetings, and presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Education, or related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- Experience in program management, preferably in educational or youth-focused settings.
- Strong financial acumen and experience in budgeting, financial analysis, and resource allocation.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and build positive relationships.
- Proficiency in data analysis and using insights to drive strategic decisions.
- Familiarity with educational standards, trends, and best practices in after-school programs.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
Salary range: $95,000 – $107,000
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), flexible spending account, paid time off, holidays, and school breaks.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our school, visit http://www.tessellations.school.
Tessellations is an Equal Opportunity Employer — we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sex, or reproductive health decision making.