Website St. Paul's Episcopal School
K-4th Grade Performing Arts/Music Teacher
Maternity Leave, August 11, 2022- December 16, 2022
Mission Statement: St. Paul’s prepares students to be confident and skilled learners, cultivates in them a strong sense of purpose, and inspires them to be generous and active citizens of the world.
St. Paul’s Episcopal School, located across from Lake Merritt in Oakland, enrolls approximately 380 students from diverse backgrounds in Kindergarten – Grade 8. St. Paul’s provides an education that is intellectually challenging, culturally pluralistic, and morally and spiritually enriching. Caring, committed faculty members, in partnership with parents, serve as role models, mentors and guides. St. Paul’s has an academically talented and ethnically diverse student body and seeks the same in its faculty.
– Implement a music curriculum in Kindergarten through 4th Grade, which includes choral singing and instruction in basic musical concepts appropriate to the grade and developmental level of the students
– Use a variety of instructional methods to create dynamic, engaging lessons, which support a diversity of learners
– Direct cross grade choir (K-2)
– Support weekly educational assemblies (Chapel) preparing music and presentations for grades K-4.
– Morning arrival/lunch recess duties
– Choose material and prepare students for Winter concert (in December)
– Collaborate with the 5th-8th Grade music department and homeroom teachers to coordinate learning experiences
– Practice thoughtful, respectful, and effective classroom management techniques which support active learning and promote responsibility and self-management
– Attend all faculty and community meetings
– Participate fully in the life of the school
– Bachelors of Arts (in Music or comparable degree or experience), a master’s degree is preferred
– Kindergarten-4th Grade Classroom music teaching experience
– Experience with global music traditions that support a world music curriculum
– Choral directing experience
– Piano and/or guitar proficiency
– Effective classroom management skills
– Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with a strong sense of cultural competency
– Early childhood methodology experience a plus
– Experience with Spanish-speaking and Latin or Latinx music traditions
– Children’s choir experience
– Instrumental performance background
– Demonstrates warmth toward children and a good sense of humor
– Excellent communication skills with both children and adults
– Values collegiality and collaboration with other teachers and administrators
– Wants to learn and is willing to accept direction and guidance
– Takes initiative and pays attention to detail
– Experience with curriculum planning and development
– Committed to teaching and nurturing social-emotional development of children
– Commitment to excellence and to professional and personal growth
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references, addressed to Nayo Brooks, Director of Lower School. Please send materials electronically, in PDF format to Nayo Brooks, Lower School Director: email@example.com.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and excellent benefits, commensurate with experience. The dates are from Friday, August 11, 2022 to Friday, December 16, 2022.
St. Paul’s is an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, age, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. St. Paul’s is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay and other forms of compensation, training, and other terms and conditions of employment.