Website Santa Catalina School
Upper School Director of Health and Wellness
Santa Catalina School is a vibrant, independent, Catholic school offering student-centered co-education to PreK through grade 8 and an all-girls boarding and day college preparatory upper school serving grades 9 through 12. Santa Catalina exists to develop in each student a striving for excellence, a maturing awareness of moral and spiritual values, a sense of responsible purpose, and a determination to serve the world with courage, grace, and compassion. With the cornerstones of excellence, spirituality, service, and responsibility, the school is committed to providing a supportive learning community for each student to grow in their intellectual, personal, and spiritual life, making Santa Catalina a transformational educational experience for its students.
Santa Catalina School, a nationally recognized, independent, Catholic, all-girls boarding and day Upper School in Monterey, California, seeks an innovative, dedicated, and student-centered full-time Director of Health and Wellness for the 2023-2024 school year. This position provides an exceptional opportunity for a wellness educator committed to helping guide whole-child education in today’s complex world. Our Upper School offers a program that challenges students to understand their individual interests and then passionately apply them to their education. This is a unique opportunity to join students and teachers who joyfully and actively engage together in creating a values-based, intentional community. Grounded by The Wheel of Wellbeing and centered in spirituality, the Director of Health and Wellness will join a highly collaborative and dedicated faculty that is committed to strengthening and enriching learning through innovative teaching methods that enable students to identify and solve problems, bridge content across traditional “subject” domains, and develop an unshakable growth mindset.
The Director of Health and Wellness is responsible for the strategic leadership, vision, implementation and direction of the Santa Catalina Health and Wellness Initiative, a commitment to inspire balance and positive growth in the physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual lives of students. Reporting to the Head of Upper School, this role will take an existing program and help evolve it in service of current student needs.
Santa Catalina School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
● Teach one semester of 9th Grade Introduction to Health and Wellness and one semester of 10th Grade Concepts of Well-being
● Provide strategic leadership, vision, and direction for Santa Catalina Health and Wellness Initiative, in collaboration with the Head of Upper School and Head of School and using past programming and original research foundations
● Establish programs and priorities to support positive outcomes in health and wellbeing of Santa Catalina students grounded by the Wheel of Wellbeing
● Oversee the Student Health and Wellness Committee, and collaborate closely with other key stakeholders to develop, coordinate, and manage wellness programming
● Collaborate with the Director of Residential Life as well as with the Upper School Administration to develop and deliver health and wellness topics within the residential life program
● Cultivate, over time, a culture of health and wellness that promotes the intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual health of the Santa Catalina community
● Initiate and coordinate communication and collaboration with Santa Catalina’s administrative team and faculty, specifically in areas which intersect with the goals of the Health and Wellness Initiative
● Provide individualized and/or group coaching
● Participate in the Upper Administration team meetings, prepares reports and updates for faculty meetings, board of trustee meetings, parent presentations, and for publications
● A bachelor’s degree in health, wellness, nutrition or related field required, master’s degree preferred
● Three or more years of experience as program director in a health related area
● Successful program design and implementation in adolescent programming
● Demonstrated experience promoting wellness initiatives for school or students
● A commitment to the mission and identity of Santa Catalina School
● A desire to participate fully in the Santa Catalina community
● Successful completion of a LiveScan criminal background check as required by law
● Ability to both coach and be coached in professional practice
● Collaborative mindset with abilities to contribute meaningful ideas, find common ground, and move forward as one team
● Excellent verbal and written skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
● Approachable and welcoming demeanor with ability to connect with a wide variety of personalities
● Personal and professional commitment to a healthy lifestyle and respectful promotion of healthy living
● Enthusiasm for fostering a culture of wellbeing
● Ability to plan, organize and implement programming and multiple tasks, meet deadlines, anticipate and positively resolve challenges
● Ability to create responsive, caring, and appropriate relationships with students, families, and colleagues
● Commitment to professional growth and education
● This position does not supervise other employees
Working Conditions and Compensation
● Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time each day
● Ability to access buildings and facilities throughout a 36-acre campus, with reasonable accommodations, in order to meet with students and faculty
● Work in a school environment with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and people
● Additional time is required beyond a normal day or week for evening and weekend meetings
● Santa Catalina School offers competitive insurance and retirement benefits
● Salary Range: $65,000 to $85,000 annually, depending on experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
Santa Catalina School is an equal-opportunity employer. Employment at Santa Catalina School is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability, marital status, or any other category protected by the law.
Interested candidates should visit our website to complete and submit an application, resume, and cover letter:
Electronic submission of candidate papers in .pdf format is preferred.
Santa Catalina provides reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities. Applicants who need accommodations to participate in the application process should contact Maria Chavez at firstname.lastname@example.org.