Lower School Director
3245 Sheffield Avenue
Oakland, CA 94602
Redwood Day is a vibrant K-8 school with students, faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
Job Description and Desired Qualifications
Redwood Day seeks an outstanding Lower School Director to lead our program to the next level. The Director leads the Lower School Division (K-5) of approximately 220 students and 30+ faculty, commits to implementing the Redwood Day mission and core values, and demonstrates a love of teaching and learning with young people. The ideal candidate possesses the following characteristics:
● Bachelor’s degree (minimum); Master’s degree (preferred)
● Demonstrated success as an administrator at the Lower School level or in K-8 program (a minimum of three years’ administrative experience)
● Core knowledge of developmental needs of children aged 5-11
● Ability to work collaboratively in a high functioning team setting
● Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Deep understanding of culturally competent teaching and differentiated instruction
● Ability to coach teachers in continual instructional reflection and improvement
● Highly effective communication skills
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Directly supervises all Lower School faculty and staff
● Acts as a chief communicator and representative for the Lower School
● Acts as the primary steward of the Lower School community and culture through appropriate tone setting, role modeling, etc.
● Works collaboratively with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction and Academic Team to make curriculum decisions impacting the Lower School
● Works collaboratively with the Student Life Team to implement and monitor programs including, but not limited to: equity and inclusion groups, outdoor education programs, buddies, service learning, etc.
● Oversees the entire Lower School budget ensuring that expenses are in line with approved budgets for various programmatic elements of Lower School
● Acts as the primary instructional leader for the Lower School through classroom observations, evaluation, and teacher mentoring
● Mentors new faculty in understanding Redwood Day culture; supports new faculty orientation in consultation with the Middle School Director
● Works with Learning Services team to ensure all faculty differentiate instruction and meet needs of students with learning differences in the Lower School
● Communicates actively with parent/guardians about program, individual student discipline, and Lower School oriented activities
● Writes content for articles, Facebook and Instagram posts about events in the Lower School as requested by the Director of Marketing and Communications
● In partnership with the Director of Student Life/Dean of Students, handles major student discipline issues in the Lower School; works collaboratively with the Director of Student Life/Dean of Students to stays aware of all Lower School student discipline related issues
● Participates in all Lower School admissions related events; collaborates with Admissions Office in the admissions process
● Makes recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hiring, retention, and assignment of faculty
● Conducts regular meetings with faculty that focus on routine school matters and issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern
● Oversees the grading and the reporting of standards and methods used by teachers in measuring student achievement in partnership with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction
● Serves as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general school procedures
● Is a visible presence in all areas of the Lower School
The anticipated salary range the school reasonably expects to pay candidates for the full-time position of Lower School Director is $140,000 to $165,000, depending on factors such as experience and education.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment at Redwood Day is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and Redwood Day application form (available at https://www.rdschool.org/page/about-us/employment-opportunities) and submit it electronically by December 8, 2023 to LowerSchoolDirector2024@rdschool.org, Attn: John Loeser, Head of School.
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, religion color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful consideration by federal, state or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
Authorized Employment Status
As required by federal law, all offers of employment are contingent on verification of an applicant or employee’s authorization for lawful employment in the United States at the start of their employment. Please note, the School does not sponsor applicants for employment-related visas.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com