Prospect Sierra School
Overview of School:
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time Elementary School First Grade Lead Teacher for a maternity leave beginning mid to late February, 2019 through the end of the academic year in early June.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, co-ed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) recently featured Prospect Sierra as a “Model School of the Future”, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information about the school.
Overview of Position:
This position is for a First Grade Lead Maternity Leave Teacher. The successful candidate will report to the Elementary School Division Head and be responsible for teaching first grade humanities, math, and reading and writing workshop.
- Teach 1st grade students humanities, SEL, reading and writing workshops, spelling, and mathematics in a developmentally appropriate, engaging way
- Create meaningful relationships and an inclusive classroom environment with the students and help them navigate their social, emotional, and academic lives
- Collaborate with teacher on leave to ensure a smooth transition at the start of leave, including several shadow dates in advance of lead teacher’s departure
- Collaborate weekly with the 1st grade team and specialists to plan curriculum, lessons, and study trips
- Evaluate all students on progress reports at end of the final semester
- Support a 1st year assistant teacher through weekly meetings, collaborative teaching, and regular feedback
- Communicate in a timely and effective way with parents
- Recess and lunch duties
- Attend weekly faculty meetings
- Lead a student ‘family’ group
- Participate in other school-wide activities throughout the year, such as staff meetings and school assemblies
The candidate must have:
- Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Three or more years of teaching experience, preferably at the elementary level
- Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
- Strong organizational, communication, and record keeping skills
- Ability and willingness to work in teams and collaborate extensively with colleagues
- Awareness of differentiated learning and teaching styles
- Ability to foster strong parent connections
- Sense of humor
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive.
How to Apply:
Email a résumé (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Abby Guinn, Elementary Head
Attn: 1st Grade Maternity Leave Teacher Position
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org