Overview of School
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El
Cerrito, California, serving 470 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build
a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human
emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students’ academic experiences
to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper
intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships.
Prospect Sierra students develop the courage to become more than great students, but
great people. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
Our elementary campus has a Spanish program that serves our K-4th grade students,
and our lead Spanish teacher will be supported by an Associate Teacher. The Spanish
associate teacher reports to the Elementary Division Head and will work in close
collaboration with the Spanish lead teacher, as well as the Associate Teacher Program
Team Leader. This is a full-time teaching position. The Spanish associate teacher is
responsible for providing support to students both academically and socially, with a
focus on supporting heritage speakers within a heterogeneous classroom setting. This
staff will need to be prepared to teach both on campus and remotely, depending on
county and state directives.
Prospect Sierra is committed to supporting associate teachers who are considering or are
already in credential programs; our associate teacher program typically supports
associates for 2-4 years as they complete their credential program and/or gain the
necessary skills to move into lead teaching roles. It is not a requirement to be enrolled in
a credential program for this position.
Daily Responsibilities of Spanish Associate Teacher
● Support the Lead Teacher in creating a positive Spanish language learning
environment where the majority of instruction is conducted in Spanish.
● Assist in the preparation of classroom materials.
● Share in the planning of the weekly curriculum with a specific focus on heritage
student program planning.
● Assist in maintaining a clean, well-organized learning environment.
● Maintain ongoing communication with the lead teacher on classroom issues and
● Model patience, flexibility, kindness, responsibility, a sense of humor, and a
respect for others.
● Appreciation for and desire to work with four to ten year olds
● Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
● Ability to effectively communicate in Spanish, both written and verbal
● Demonstrated desire to learn best practices in elementary language instruction
● Knowledge of the essential role social emotional literacy plays in the workplace
and interest in application of SEL within the educational setting
● Recognition of the importance of creating an inclusive classroom community that
allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected, potentially
including knowledge of identity safe and anti-bias educational practices
● Ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively
with diverse constituencies
● Willingness to be a team player, show initiative, and take on leadership roles as
● A passionate commitment to creating an innovative, joyful environment for
● Bachelor of arts or science degree and/or professional coursework or certification
In addition to required qualifications, desirable additional skills include:
● Experience with Comprehensible Input strategies and TPRS would be helpful
● Experience instructing heritage speakers helpful
● Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Organizational skills and the ability to multitask
● Willingness to engage in learning how best to use current technology tools to
support teaching and learning
● Nuanced understanding of DEI/social justice knowledge from a personal or
● Attend Back to School Night and Open House
● Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of elementary school life, e.g.,
team and staff meetings, attendance at school functions, and recess/lunch duties
The compensation is competitive. Benefits included. The salary schedule can be viewed
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including contact information for three references) and one-page cover
Quise Rodriguez, Elementary School Division Head
Prospect Sierra School is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in
many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability,
and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org