Website Presidio Hill School
Job Title: 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher & Middle School Advisor
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Middle School Director
Contract Start Date: July 1, 2022 (faculty officially returns to school in August)
Presidio Hill School is an independent, progressive school located in the Presidio Heights neighborhood of San Francisco and serves a diverse population of 220 students enrolled in transitional kindergarten to 8th grade, with a faculty and staff of approximately 45 people. Established in 1918 by artist-educator-activists Helen Salz and Flora Arnstein, Presidio Hill School is the oldest continuously operating progressive school in California, with a mission and deep history connected to social justice. Our new 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher will have demonstrated passion and experience teaching middle school English/Language Arts and working with students and a school community that explicitly strives to be inclusive.
Presidio Hill offers its students a challenging, project-based curriculum that attends to their intellectual and social-emotional needs, and prepares them to be agents of positive social change. Guided by a skilled and caring faculty, students learn to be confident and curious, to be creative problem solvers, and independent, critical thinkers. Learning at PHS is collaborative and active. We place great value on the arts as both an academic discipline and an essential element of a meaningful life. Situated on the edge of the Presidio, our school takes full and frequent advantage of the park’s 1500 acres; whether they are studying science, art, social studies, or literature, the Presidio is a rich and vital “classroom” to our students.
Our vibrant, diverse, and supportive community allows students to explore their unique voices, traits, and talents; our emphasis on the importance of community and justice encourages students to develop self-awareness, personal character, resilience, and an understanding of their role as stewards of the planet and citizens of the world.
Presidio Hill School seeks a faculty and staff that reflects the broad range of diversity in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our school is strongly committed to promoting cultural competency in all interactions and programs. We are invested in the growth, happiness, and preparation of our teachers, and provide generous support for their professional development.
Presidio Hill School seeks a full-time 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher & Middle School Advisor to begin August 2022. Qualified candidates will demonstrate a deep understanding of and interest in the developmental nuances of elementary and middle school-aged children, progressive education, and anti-bias teaching practices. Candidates will ideally have prior experience as a middle school English Language Arts teacher. The 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher will be expected to build an engaging 7/8 ELA program and to scaffold and differentiate lessons and experiences for students as needed, creating a program that meets the needs of a wide variety of learners. Given that PHS utilizes aspects of Responsive Classroom and Developmental Designs in order to support positive student behavior, candidates with experience in these areas are preferred.
The 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher also serves as a middle school advisor for a small group of students. Advisor responsibilities include a twenty-minute morning meeting with a small group of advisees, providing oneself as a student advocate, communicating with colleagues and parents about student progress, and other related student support.
In addition to creating and maintaining a vibrant ELA program, providing excellent instruction and inspiration, and maintaining effective communication with colleagues, parents, and students, the 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher is expected to contribute to the greater PHS community through work on various committees and school events. PHS teachers and all faculty work closely with each other and collaborate and engage in a positive manner; excellent interpersonal skills are a necessity.
• Establish a safe and inclusive classroom environment where students feel comfortable taking risks through self-discovery, collaboration, and community engagement
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Design and deliver curriculum and instruction as appropriate to grade level(s)
• Collaborate with teachers to design integrated curriculum with cultural competency, skills-proficiency, and positive peer collaboration at the center
• Seek professional development resources, training, and experiences in order to enhance professional knowledge and skills
• Supervise recess and lunch duties
• Provide student support as a middle school advisor, including facilitating daily morning meetings, parent/guardian conferences, communication with middle school colleagues, and chaperoning one overnight field trip each year.
• Facilitate or co-facilitate once/week elective class
• Facilitate, co-facilitate, or support middle school affinity groups program
• Attend limited number of evening or weekend school events
• Draft 8th grade high school recommendation letters annually
• Work with high school counselor(s) to support student application writing
Skills, Qualifications, and Experiences
• Experience working in a multicultural environment
• Knowledge of Progressive Education
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of Presidio Hill School
• 3-5 years teaching experience preferred
• Specific experience using technology to support teaching and learning including Google Suite, iPads and iOS.
• Instructional experience with varied pedagogical approaches
• Good humor, energy, a passion for teaching, and a love of learning
• Experience supervising students on short overnight trips
• Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• A Bachelor’s degree. Teaching credential preferred.
• Ability to support outdoor education, including extended class trips to and from the Presidio
• Ability to adhere to guidelines and recommendations from the CDC, CDPH, and SFDPH
• Ability to adhere to PHS Community Health Agreement
• Up-to-date COVID vaccination
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, contact information for two to three references, and/or letters of reference via email (with 7th & 8th Grade English/Language Arts Teacher in the subject line) to James Wygant (Middle School Director): firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates should send the above information by no later than March 21, 2022.
To learn more about PHS, please visit our website.