Park Day School
Request for Proposal: Park Day School Social Justice Education Consulting
Goals to Be Achieved
Create and implement a focused plan that builds on Park Day School’s social justice mission and supports the
priorities outlined by the Social Justice Initiative committees. These priorities include: increasing cultural fluency and continuing to implement culturally responsive social justice curriculum, institutionalizing equitable hiring practices and increasing the racial diversity of staff and students.
- Park Day School seeks a Social Justice Education Consultant with professional experience in working with K-8 teachers, staff, families and students to:
- Articulate a clear vision and framework for, and support the review and revision of the contiguous K-8 Social Justice curriculum in collaboration with PDS educators that is developmentally appropriate, culturally relevant, reflects social justice values across the grades and is responsive to current events. Develop the framework for assessing its efficacy and continuous improvement.
- Deliver Social Justice training and tools to our teachers and staff throughout the school year.
- Assess and improve best practices for equity and inclusion in our hiring and retention efforts, create policies as needed, define outcomes and develop framework for assessing progress.
- Provide on campus support to the staff when specific issues of diversity, equity or inclusion arise in the classroom, on campus or in our larger community.
- The successful consultant will assist in the development of Social Justice Lead Educators from within the Park Day staff.
- The successful consultant will help to identify effective social justice professional development opportunities for Park Day staff.
Type of Contract
- Park Day School will enter into a fixed price contract with the selected consultant.
- Park Day School seeks a Social Justice Education Consultant with the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience as a classroom teacher and/or K-8 learning specialist
- Demonstrated experience as an educational consultant to independent, charter and/or public schools
- Proven experience developing social justice curricula in a K-8 environment
- Professional experience with schools that embrace progressive pedagogy
- Proven leadership skills in a collaborative decision-making environment
Park Day School will make every effort to complete the hiring process by June 8, 2018, and the vision / philosophy and curriculum framework portion of the project will begin in August 2018. The balance of the responsibilities outlined herein are intended to be completed within the 2018-19 school year.
RFP Submission Requirements
Please submit a current cover letter, resume, proposal that responds to the Consultant’s Responsibilities and Consultant’s Qualifications section of this document and your fixed price proposal to https://parkdayschool.applicantpro.com/jobs/ by Wednesday, May 30, 2018.
Please include the following in your proposal:
- Consultant experience: Provide a brief description of three to five recent projects (within the last ten years) of similar size and scope done by key personnel to be involved with this project where similar consulting services were provided. Include client references and phone numbers for each project.
- Key Personnel: Provide resumes of key personnel to be assigned to this project who have worked on similar projects. Include organizational chart with roles clearly defined.
- Schedule: Verify that the following schedule can be met:
Award of Contract: June 15, 2018
Process Work: June 2018– May 2019
Key Check-ins (to be adapted as necessary for a total of 6 throughout the year):
June 22, 2018 November 30, 2018
August 3, 2018 March 1, 2019
September 28, 2018 May 31, 2019
- Process/Approach: Outline the steps in the consultant’s approach, including anticipated timing and/or nature of potential on site meetings
- Fees and Expenses: Include a stipulated sum, including fees and reimbursable expenses, for the performance of the professional services as outlined in this RFP. Submit hourly rates for all project team members and prices for reimbursable expense items where applicable.
- Confidentiality: All personnel within the firm and sub-consultants agree to keep all aspects of this prospective project confidential. The project can only be discussed with authorized Park Day School stakeholders.
Park Day School will review submissions, select qualified candidates and invite finalists to visit our campus for interviews by our hiring committee. Park Day intends to choose a consultant based on the qualifications submitted; however it reserves the right to request applicants to provide additional information as needed.
Park Day School Mission
At Park Day School, dedicated teachers and engaged students collaborate to create a dynamic and joyful learning community for mastering academic and interpersonal skills. Students construct meaning and deep understanding through inquiry and discovery-based teaching. Our practices promote critical and creative thinking, artistic expression, and a commitment to diversity and social justice. In the spirit of partnership and service, students expand their perspectives through participation in the broader community. Continuing the legacy of the progressive education movement, Park Day School prepares students to be informed, courageous, and compassionate people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world.
Park Day School Social Justice Mission Statement
Park Day School believes everyone’s efforts are needed to realize our stated mission to “prepare students to be informed, courageous and compassionate people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world.”
To this end, in partnership among teachers, students, parents, board and staff, Park Day School has embraced a comprehensive approach to realizing our commitment to inclusion and structural equity with the creation of a Social Justice Initiative (SJI).
The SJI is a vehicle for everyone to further these commitments as it develops resources, programs and collaborative opportunities that promote the goals of our school’s mission. The SJI manifests our belief that promoting social justice, equity and inclusion–through our practices and policies, and throughout the school climate–is everyone’s responsibility. The SJI breathes life into the school’s broader mission and provides the guidelines toward a better, more just, future.
Why Do Families Choose Park Day School?
For over 40 years, families have chosen Park Day School for our enduring respect for children as thinkers and explorers, curious scientists and mathematicians, imaginative writers and artists, and as makers of change in the interest of equality and justice: children who possess important ideas and theories about their world. Families also choose Park Day School because our students love learning and are exceptionally well prepared for life in the 21st century.
Families often choose Park Day School because our hands-on, discovery-based, progressive approach inspires a passion for learning. Families also choose Park Day because for nearly 40 years we’ve worked to create a place where students think creatively, learn deeply and develop compassion for others and their world. They also choose to send their children here because our program prepares students with a strong academic and social-emotional foundation on which to build their ongoing education and their lives.
Park Day is an EEO Employer and Follows All Applicable Employment Laws
Park Day School actively seeks to build a diverse student, staff and parent/guardian community. We are an avid equal opportunity employer and seek applicants who reflect the rich diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, faith or veteran status. Park Day School is an EEO employer and follows all applicable employment laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org