Website Orinda Academy
Orinda Academy is seeking a part-time Spanish teacher to teach four levels of high school Spanish. Start date: August 14, 2023
Who we are:
Orinda Academy is an intentionally small independent high school serving grades 8 -12. The majority of our students have a diagnosed learning difference, and they come to OA – and stay – because our high-support learning environment helps them to get organized, know themselves and their learning profiles better, and take ownership of their education.
We aim to send our graduates out into the world with self confidence, pride, and a good sense of how they are going to make themselves better and make the world a better place.
We know that all students learn differently, and with our inclusive mission as a foundation, we provide pathways to solid core and elective class offerings that fully prepare each graduate for college, or for any career path they choose. Our teachers care, and it shows!
Who you are and what you do:
- You are a hard-working Spanish teacher with solid knowledge and experience supporting and challenging students to learn to communicate in Spanish and to appreciate the variety of cultural opportunities that learning a language provides.
- You are prepared to deliver a project-based curriculum in Spanish.
- You have experience, or a desire to work, with students with learning differences.
- You really like working with teenagers; they give you energy.
- You are comfortable and skilled speaking and working with parents and guardians, colleagues, students, and student support staff.
- You are trustworthy and discreet with sensitive information about students and families.
- You are obsessively responsive, proactive, and communicative with students, parents, and staff.
- You are prepared to attend and participate in independent school activities such as (but not limited to) Back-to-School Night, conferences, student advisory, all-school retreat, club sponsorship, and open houses.
- You are a lifelong learner.
- You have loads of empathy and patience for students who need lots of reminders, scaffolding, and encouragement.
- You have a sense of humor and fun.
Who you will work with:
- You will report directly to the Head of School.
- You will occasionally collaborate with other staff for projects, committee work, and all-school activities.
What we would like to see on your resume and hear from your references:
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Spanish language and/or literature; master’s degree preferred.
- You have independent school experience.
- Your love of Spanish shines through in your teaching.
- You have at least two years of experience as a Spanish teacher.
- You have worked with students of all ability levels, including students with learning differences.
- You have solid and consistent classroom management skills.
- You are a supportive, positive, flexible, and collaborative colleague.
- You enjoy sharing your program with your colleagues and the larger community.
- You have strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- You are a clear, prompt, and proactive communicator both verbally and in writing.
This is a part-time (FTE 0.4) position. Salary range: $26,000-$32,000 – salary commensurate with experience and education level.
All faculty and staff employed by Orinda Academy must submit results of a negative TB test and obtain fingerprints for a Live Scan criminal background check by the California Department of Justice. They must also be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or submit an official medical exemption.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orinda Academy is an inclusive and welcoming school that celebrates diversity, including race, color, religion, national and ethnic origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other status protected by applicable law. We welcome candidates representing the diversity of today’s global world.