The Athenian School
Athenian’s continued institutional improvement and focus on student needs depend on efficient and sustainable systems that allow leadership and faculty to focus their time developing vision and strategy as well as teaching and serving its students (instead of navigating inefficient systems). Currently, Athenian needs a dedicated resource to create, manage, and audit systems and processes on an ongoing basis. Such improvements would help the school better allocate its resources, boost employee morale, and strengthen the school and its relationships and reputation with community members.
The Operations Manager will report to the COO and serve as a point person that connects the flow of internal communications, processes and operations across the school. This will ensure improved cross-departmental communication and collaboration. The Operations Manager will act as a liaison between departments and school leaders to create sustainable processes to ensure a productive working environment for staff and faculty.
CORE ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Help identify key internal communication and logistical needs and be a liaison between the Head of School, the COO, the Head of the Upper School, the Head of the Middle School, the Director of Residential Life, the Athletic Director, the Director of Summer Programs and After-School Enrichment, and on-site food and facilities vendors to ensure faculty, staff, and administrators are aligned on operational items including facility use and improvements, key meetings, processes and training.
• Partner with key stakeholders to oversee weekly Calendar Committee meetings to ensure comprehensive input into the calendaring process, including cadence of events for our varied audiences to ensure the school-wide calendar represents the needs across divisions and departments.
• Collaborate with the Communications team and the Director of People and Culture to ensure execution alignment on internal and external communications.
• Annual Event Logistics: Coordinate with all departments to ensure logistical efficacy for on-campus events or virtual events. Create and maintain an inventory of all Athenian branded event supplies and materials to enhance the experience of attendees.
• Conduct periodic school operations audits that include staff, student, and faculty feedback. The audit will review current systems and processes and work with department heads to ensure optimal effectiveness and efficiency.
• Lead recurring all-campus aesthetics audits with the Facilities Director to ensure campus is on brand and well maintained. In partnership with the Campus Design Committee, create and manage a rolling timeline to ensure campus aesthetics are fresh, clean and updated.
• Coordinate health, safety, environment audits, safety and emergency drills, risk management assessments, and cybersecurity assessments in partnership with the appropriate leaders and/or committees.
• COVID – serve as a Safety Coordinator for the school. Lead COVID Safety Plan inspections. Procure and manage PPE inventory. Partner with COO, outside consultants and others on safety plan updates and communication. Monitor cleaning and other related protocols.
• Partner with Human Resources, Technology, and the Controller to support hiring and onboarding processes across the school. Key processes include HR/payroll/benefits, technology/systems set up and access, training, campus events & tours, and major processes and protocols.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
• Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Collaborative: Reaches across boundaries internally and externally to develop partnerships. Experience working with a virtual workforce. Ability to manage a complex set of stakeholders
• Models a commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice
• Strong project management skills. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Attention to detail
NICE TO HAVE:
• 3+ years’ experience working in a private school or university environment in a staff, teaching or administrative role
• 3+ years’ experience working in operations and/or facilities management
• Excellent spreadsheet, presentation and word processing software skills
• Business acumen: Good business sense and judgment
• Problem solving: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Creative, risk-taking and results-oriented mindset
• Influencing: Communicates with impact. Uses tailored communication and creates authentic and trusting relationships to influence colleagues, especially related to organizational planning
• Leadership: Demonstrated ability to accomplish work through others, including leading project teams
• Self-Management: Self-directed work style, able to work autonomously with minimal direction. Deliver results with a customer service mindset. Operates with a sense of urgency and proactively tackles areas for improvement.
• Flexible: Demonstrates flexibility and adaptation skills
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 531 students, including 60 boarding students, 48 of whom are international students. We ask that applicants take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy (visit our website: www.athenian.org).
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply. Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
The Athenian School’s Commitment to Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
Athenian is committed to upholding and protecting the dignity and worth of all people, recognizing everyone’s shared humanity. Equity, inclusion and diversity are much more than social principles at Athenian; they are educational imperatives. These imperatives are at the core of Athenian’s philosophy and the School counts on its community members to support this ideal.
Send a cover letter and resume to Keith Powell (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Tuesday, February 9, 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com