Website Northern Light School
Middle School Science Teacher
Northern Light School (NLS) is an independent progressive school in Oakland, CA serving students in Pre-K to 8th grade. NLS is committed to providing an empowering education for children from all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. Our faculty and staff create an atmosphere where every child can excel – as learners, leaders, and engaged human beings. Our focus is on academic excellence as well as non-violence, acceptance of differences, respect for the environment, and the moral advancement of humanity—so that the children develop an understanding that they have a responsibility to make a difference in the lives of others.
Northern Light School is seeking a passionate, skilled, and engaged Middle School Science Teacher to join our faculty for the Fall 2023 school year. This is an exciting opportunity for a student-centered educator who is passionate about science, experiential learning, and STEAM based applications.
• Teach Middle School Science and STEAM classes to students in grades 6, 7, & 8
• Prepare motivating and stimulating lessons that reflect knowledge of the subject matter, best practices, and child development
• Employ a variety of teaching methods and differentiates instruction to engage different learning styles and ability levels in the classroom
• Generate a classroom culture that is engaging, student-focused, and effectively managed. Encourage an inclusive classroom that embraces diversity and fosters a global perspective.
• Effectively and consistently partner and communicate with parents, colleagues, and students.
• Participate in professional development and be open to new ideas and innovative learning.
• Participate in school events and contribute to the school’s plan for growth.
• Bachelor’s degree (MA preferred)
• At least 2-3 years of experience teaching middle school science in a student-centered learning environment
• Experience with STEAM instruction and project-based learning
• Positive collaborator and a strong team player
• Technologically savvy
• A commitment to equity, inclusion, and culturally responsive programming
• Strong communication skills and rapport with students, colleagues, and parents
• Leadership mindset
• Experience as a student advisor preferred
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. The position comes with full benefits, including:
- 100% employer paid health care
- Dental and Vision Coverage
- 403B Retirement and Employer Match
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Jill Diaz-Figueroa, Director of Admissions & Marketing – firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination Statement
Northern Light School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions based on merit. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, pregnancy, and breastfeeding), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
At Northern Light School (NLS) we believe a diverse, inclusive, and equitable school community is critical for preparing passionate learners and engaged citizens. Inspired by the core ideals of the civil rights movement, NLS is deeply committed to advancing the cause of social justice through culturally responsive programming that affirms the diversity of our community and gives young people the tools to “promote the moral advancement of humanity,” as our mission powerfully states. We encourage all stakeholders – supporters, families, faculty, and most of all, students – to embrace differences, honor identity and value full membership and belonging for all.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com