Park Day School
Middle School Learning Specialist
Park Day School Mission
At Park Day School, dedicated teachers and engaged students collaborate to create a dynamic and joyful learning community for mastering academic and interpersonal skills. Students construct meaning and deep understanding through inquiry and discovery-based teaching. Our practices promote critical and creative thinking, artistic expression, and a commitment to diversity and social justice. In the spirit of partnership and service, students expand their perspectives through participation in the broader community. Continuing the legacy of the progressive education movement, Park Day School prepares students to be informed, courageous, and compassionate people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world.
At Park Day School, expert teachers and dedicated staff are committed to the enterprise of providing a place where students learn deeply, think creatively, act compassionately, and live fully. Founded in 1976, Park Day offers an outstanding co-educational K-8 program to over 300 students. The school community embraces the ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity of Oakland. The school is rooted in the tenets of progressive education and reinforces 21st Century learning. Our student-centered approach cultivates deep thinkers and compassionate and courageous people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world. Park Day is a leader in public purpose initiatives; our community outreach program collaborates with public schools and community groups to create meaningful service-learning opportunities for our students.
Located in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, the school is situated on a four-acre campus that has been described as “glorious” and “a jewel” with trees, gardens, and quiet niches as well as outdoor play and athletic facilities; it is a campus for all ages. Park Day has become a leader in developing innovative educational connections between campus and classroom, including our living labs, specialized learning gardens, nature zone, chicken coop, and edible gardens.
We are seeking an experienced, talented, and energetic Middle School Learning Specialist for the 2018-2019 school year. The Learning Specialist reports to the Middle School Director and is responsible for leading Park Day’s Middle School Student Support Program. The Learning Specialist works as a member of Park Day’s Learning Support Team to provide direct supports to students and instructional mentoring for teachers, and to collaborate with parents to meet the
diverse needs of our students. We also seek a vibrant educator who brings creativity, innovation, and a social justice lens to their work.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- ● Support students through one-on-one sessions and teaching study skills
- ● Support teachers through weekly consultations, including reviewing upcoming lessons,
discussing strategies for differentiation, and crafting assessment tools
- ● Communicate Student Support Plans, including student learning profiles,
accommodations, and modifications, to grade level teachers at the beginning of the
school year, and help teachers implement them
- ● Communicate with tutors (via email, phone calls, or in person meetings)
- ● Organize and lead Team Meetings to review standing Student Support Plans and to
implement new plans for students with new evaluations as they come in
- ● Consult with families about educational or neuropsychological testing for their child and
share information regarding accommodations
- ● Support Admissions through administering assessments and participating in ongoing
- ● Other Middle School, committee, and general school responsibilities
- ● Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- ● Commitment to meaningful collaboration with colleagues and parents
- ● Commitment to keeping parents informed and engaged
- ● Commitment to improving the school as a whole and sharing best practices with others
- ● Ability to be self-reflective and committed to learning from feedback received from
colleagues, administrators, and students
- ● A working understanding of developmental/constructivist teaching practices and social
- ● A nurturing and supportive tone with students.
- ● Master’s Degree in Special Education, Educational Therapy, or equivalent
- ● Minimum of three years experience directly serving children with learning differences or
other special needs in a school setting
Salary and benefits are competitive and will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including employer-paid medical, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, and tuition remission. PDS is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit resume, letter of interest, and three references by Tuesday, May 22 at parkdayschool.applicantpro.com/jobs
Park Day School actively seeks to build a diverse student, staff and parent/guardian community. We are an avid equal opportunity employer and seek applicants who reflect the rich diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, faith or veteran status. PDS is an EEO employer and follows all applicable employment laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org