Website Mid-Peninsula High School
Director of Operations
Reports to: Director of Finance
Start Date: December 1, 2023 (open until filled)
Salary Range: $90,000-$125,000, depending on skills and experience
Dedicated to the belief that all students belong with expert and compassionate teachers, Mid-Peninsula High School empowers students with the knowledge and purpose to impact a complex world. Mid-Pen is committed to caring for and supporting each of our 137 students from around the Bay Area by developing authentic, personal relationships with them and their families. We seek candidates who are highly skilled, deeply committed, and who derive both professional and personal joy from working with fascinating students, supportive parents and guardians, and wonderful colleagues.
Mid-Peninsula High School in Menlo Park, CA seeks a full-time Director of Operations, who will be responsible for managing all aspects of the School’s physical plant, safety and security, transportation, and new construction projects. The new Director ideally will begin on December 1; we are open to being somewhat flexible on the start date for the right candidate. We are excited to welcome a new colleague who possesses both strong skills and a growth mindset, and who wants to be an active member of a thriving and compassionate school community. A more detailed job description is included at the end of this summary.
What will the Director of Operations do?
The DO will manage the day-to-day campus operations and will make it a priority to notice the needs of community members and the physical plant itself and take action. The DO will maintain daily and weekly schedules for ongoing maintenance and will partner closely with the Facilities Associate to ensure that the campus functions well and looks inviting to community members and visitors alike. The DO will work closely with the Director of Finance to develop short- and long-term strategies to keep the campus operating at the most efficient and cost-effective levels and will partner with the Administrative Team as the leader of our safety and security protocols. The DO will be the main contact for our facility vendors and will represent Mid-Pen as the project manager for all construction projects. The DO also will help plan and execute campus events and will partner with different colleagues on each of those projects as they arise.
With whom will the Director of Operations work?
The DO reports to the Director of Finance and will work closely with her on budgets and other planning. The DO supervises the Facilities Associate, as well as the Office Assistant specifically in her role in student transportation. Because Mid-Pen is a highly relational school, the DO also will develop relationships with all colleagues and students in order to best meet their needs and will establish partnerships with those groups to keep the campus running smoothly and looking great. The DO also will work with members of the Board of Trustees, including the Finance Committee and, in time, the Facilities Committee when it is constituted ahead of the construction of a new building on campus.
What kinds of skills and mindsets will the Director of Finance possess?
We are seeking a person who has developed broad and deep skills in facility maintenance and construction management. The DO should be proficient and comfortable with G-suite applications and should be comfortable learning how to use other technology platforms such as Veracross, our student information system, that all students, families, and colleagues use. The DO should certainly have the necessary skills to care for the campus day-to-day and also should
have the capacity to develop a vision for the future of our campus as we prepare for the construction of a new building.
Excellent candidates will be able to show a strong track record of sound facilities, personnel, and financial management, excellent communication skills with multiple constituencies (current and
prospective families, colleagues, trustees), and an ability to partner effectively with all of these groups. We are seeking a strategic thinker who can be a strong thought partner to the Director of
Finance, the Board, the Head, and other colleagues as Mid-Pen enters its next phase of enrollment and facilities growth, as well as a community-minded person who is excited to contribute to our kind and accepting culture. It is not a requirement that the new DO has worked in a school setting before; we welcome any candidate who is ready to become a “school person” if they are not already. A desire to partner with colleagues and families, flexibility, a commitment to issues of justice/equity/diversity/inclusion, and a sense of humor are required.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Peninsula High School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Mid-Pen adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on race, color, creed, age, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnicity or national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, any protected military or veteran status, physical disability, or any other category protected by applicable Federal, State, or Local law.
Director of Operations
Reports to: Director of Finance
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
● Partner with members of the Administrative Team to execute on the strategic plans – set by the Board of Trustees and Head of School – for the development of the campus and physical plant, in alignment with the School’s mission and values.
● In partnership with the Director of Finance, develop and maintain a long-term plan for running a cost-effective, efficient, and sustainable facility. Maintain a 5-year budget model that includes projections for regular maintenance, deferred maintenance (when necessary and appropriate), facilities upgrade projects, and new construction.
● In partnership with members of the Administrative Team, the Facilities Committee, and the School’s architects, design and implement cost-effective solutions to maximize space capacity
and utilization for classrooms, offices, and shared public spaces.
● Act as the project manager for maintenance and construction projects as the key liaison between the school and vendors. Manage all aspects of construction projects, including but not limited to
design, timelines, permits, insurance, and construction. Monitor progress, solve for issues that arise, and report regularly on progress to the Facilities Committee, Director of Finance, and Head of School.
Campus Safety, Maintenance, and Budgets
● Supervise the Facilities Associate, and supervise the Office Assistant specifically with regards to her role in student transportation in the mornings.
● Manage all School transportation, including van use/maintenance and our parking lot, and maintain relations with neighbors for reciprocal parking needs. Liaise with local public transportation authorities to keep community members informed of closures, etc.
● Partner with the Registrar and Communications Manager to maintain the school’s emergency notification systems.
● In partnership with the Administrative Team, develop policies and practices for campus safety and security. This includes but is not limited to the implementation of regular safety drills, maintaining security cameras, and maintaining communications and relationships with local police and fire departments.
● Manage maintenance and renovation schedules, including cost projections.
● Maintain building inventory, fixed assets, furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
● Oversee contractors/custodians involved in facility projects and delivery of services.
● Ensure all building operations comply with all local zoning laws and regulations.
● Oversee day-to-day upkeep of the facilities (e.g. maintenance, repairs, facilities requests), and manage all building systems including mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and
waste management. This includes but is not limited to:
○ Fire alarms
○ Keycard entry systems
○ Security cameras
○ Phone systems
○ Utilities and water
○ Cell tower
○ Campus upgrades
● In partnership with the Director of Finance, develop and monitor the facilities budgets, and approve vendors’ invoices.
● In partnership with the Director of Finance, renew commercial insurance and assist with other projects as necessary and appropriate.
● Participate in the onboarding of new colleagues with respect to the campus and facilities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com