Website Mark Day School
P.E. Teacher Grades 4-8, Long-Term Sub
Long-Term Substitute Position – Starting April 2024
Mark Day School seeks a collaborative, innovative educator with a passion for teaching daily physical education to students in grades four through eight. Join us and teach in a community characterized by academic excellence, student-centered teaching methods, close collaboration between colleagues, a block schedule, a 1:1 laptop program, and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Teachers challenge, nurture, and engage all learners by mixing traditional best practices with progressive, student-centered approaches such as project-based learning, student-centered inquiry, and differentiated instruction. The successful applicant for this position will help advance the school’s mission with positive energy, creativity, dedication to a diverse and equitable community, love for children, a strong work ethic, and a desire to collaborate in partnership with the wider school community.
P.E. is a core subject at Mark Day School. All students have P.E. every day and participate in a daily running program to build fitness over time through consistent application of effort and skill. They learn the value of fitness as part of a healthy, active life and participate in daily activity units across multiple sports designed to teach skills, teamwork, resilience, a sense of fair play, and ethical behavior.
Opportunities and Responsibilities
● Teach daily P.E. to students in grades 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
● Challenge all students with high fitness and behavioral expectations while maintaining a climate of responsibility, safety, kindness, enthusiasm, and fun.
● Model personal standards of excellence: warmth, clarity of expectations, consistency, and accountability.
● Participate fully in a learning community committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
● Employ equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices.
● Apply a wide range of highly effective approaches to teaching, balancing enduring and innovative best practices.
● Collaborate actively with P.E. department colleagues and academic faculty in grades 4-8.
● Form supportive and responsive relationships with students and families.
● Differentiate instruction to challenge every learner and provide constructive, timely feedback that fosters a growth mindset.
● Build a strong, positive class community in which students advocate for themselves and others.
● Use school technologies to enhance student learning, faculty collaboration, and responsive communication.
● Work with learning specialists, counselors, and parents when necessary to design differentiated programs for students who require specialized support.
● Collaborate with colleagues to carry forward major project initiatives in the cross-disciplinary literacies as well as enhance the students’ overall experience.
● Observe, evaluate, encourage, and monitor students’ fitness, social development, and progress.
● Communicate proactively and regularly with students, parents, and colleagues regarding students’ progress and needs.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
● Back to School Night
● Parent information evenings
● Admission tours, open houses, and assessments
● Committee work
● Weekly faculty meetings
● Coaching (for extra stipend)
● Recess supervision
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
● Relevant teaching experience with a minimum of two years preferred
● Relevant subject area knowledge
● Proven track record of working effectively to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
● Strong skills in curriculum design, initiative, follow-through, organization, collaboration, and communication
Compensation and Salary Range
Mark Day School places faculty on a published internal salary scale with steps based on years of experience in education. Full-time employees also receive individual benefits through the school as well as generous professional development support. The Mark Day faculty salary range for full-time faculty positions is $72,500-152,000 depending on experience. Compensation for this position will be prorated for the period of employment.
More About Mark Day School
Mark Day School is an independent, all-gender, K-8 school located in the Bay Area in San Rafael, CA, with an enrollment of 380 students. Innovative, inclusive, and full of heart, Mark Day School unites an enriched, challenging academic program with a kind and inclusive community. The school nurtures a love of learning, engagement in the community, and development of compassion and an ethical framework. Students learn and practice the intellectual, social, and emotional skills they will apply to the unique challenges and opportunities of their time; graduates stand out not only for their intellectual curiosity and pursuit of ideas but also for their joy of learning and a deep sense of responsibility to be active, engaged citizens.
Mark Day School has established a consistent practice of thoughtful innovation in its curricular program, focusing on current-century skills and concepts including four cross-disciplinary literacies: cross-cultural literacy, media and information literacy, eco-literacy, and social and emotional literacy. Highlights include the award-winning Media Literacy program; well-established local and global partnerships with Adopt-a-Family, the Ritter Center, Cedars, LITA, eSibonisweni School and Kliptown Youth Program in South Africa, and Beijing Experimental Primary School #2 in China, among others; Boxlight and FrontRow technology in every classroom, with a one-to-one laptop program beginning in sixth grade; Mandarin and Spanish language beginning in kindergarten; an integrated Social and Emotional Learning program; a commitment to differentiation across the school; and more.
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. Mark Day School is an equal-opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and multiculturalism. Mark Day School’s salary and benefits are very competitive by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website (www.markdayschool.org).
Interested candidates should visit our website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org