Website Mark Day School
K-8 Drama Teacher and Director
Full-Time Position Beginning August 2023
Mark Day School seeks a collaborative, innovative educator with a passion for teaching drama to students in grades K-8. Join us and teach in a community characterized by academic excellence, student-centered teaching methods, close collaboration between colleagues, a block schedule, a 1:1 laptop program, and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist education. The successful applicant for this position will help advance the school’s mission with positive energy, creativity, dedication to a diverse and equitable community, love for children, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to collaborate in partnership with the wider school community.
The Drama Department teaches through various performing activities, including weekly classes, assemblies, K-3rd presentations, and two annual productions for 4th-8th Grade. Through storytelling projects, creative dramatics, and improvisation, students learn the value of collaboration and performance. The focus is on creative movement and expression, and the goal is for all students to be exposed to dramatic arts.
Opportunities and Responsibilities
● Teach weekly drama classes in grades K-6.
● Teach a weekly drama-related arts elective for grades 7-8.
● Direct one of the annual drama productions, either the fall play or the spring musical.
● Support and maintain the love of drama at Mark Day School.
● Collaborate with the arts faculty to advance the arts and highlight the importance of the arts as part of a balanced curriculum.
● Model personal standards of excellence: warmth, clarity of expectations, consistency, and accountability.
● Demonstrate equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices.
● Apply a wide range of highly effective approaches to teaching, balancing enduring and innovative best practices.
● Engage in ongoing professional development.
● Form supportive and responsive relationships with students and families.
● Differentiate instruction to challenge every learner.
● Build a robust and positive classroom environment in which students advocate for themselves and others.
● Provide constructive, timely, specific feedback that fosters a growth mindset.
● Use available technology to enhance student learning, faculty collaboration, and responsive communication.
● Collaborate with the broader community to enhance the students’ experience, including specialists in technology, information literacy, drama, art, music, P.E., world language, Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and counseling, global education, sustainability, service-learning, and diversity.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
● Helping plan and run student performances
● Back to School Night
● Parent information evenings
● Committee work
● Weekly faculty meetings
● Recess supervision
● Outdoor Education Chaperone
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
● Relevant teaching experience with a minimum of two years preferred
● Relevant subject area knowledge in drama
● Proven track record of working effectively to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist education
● Strong skills in initiative, follow-through, organization, collaboration, and communication
Compensation and Salary Range
Mark Day School places faculty on a published internal salary scale with steps based on years of experience in education. Full-time employees also receive individual benefits through the school as well as generous professional development support. The Mark Day faculty salary range for full-time faculty positions is $68,000-139,000, depending on experience.
More About Mark Day School
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. The school is an equal-opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and multiculturalism. Mark Day School’s compensation and benefits are very competitive by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website (www.markdayschool.org).
Interested candidates should visit our website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to email@example.com